Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Just wondering how often everybody changes their oil? How long would you comfortably go past your normal change if on a long trip? Example: You change your oil at 25 hours and it has 19 on it now. In two days your leaving on a trip where you expect to put about 12 hours on the tach. Do you change it early or wait? I'm a nut about changing oil in my cars at 3000 miles even though modern thinking states this isn't needed. Now in my airplane I can't hardly stand the idea of going over the 25 hour mark. Ughhhh!

Bryan

Hey Bryan,

Data point:
I'm going to take Flash for some Idaho camping in a few days. I had 18.9 hrs on the current oil and I changed it for the trip. I'm going to put around 20 hours on the hobbs during the trip.

Best always,

changing oil

The recommeded oil change intervals of 25 hours with a oil screen and 50 hours with a filter seems good to me. Now the time interval seems harder to meet, as 4 months fly by faster than I can put 50 hours on the hobbs meter.
I will let the time slide easier than the hours and I've noticed the oil doesn't look dirty til about 40 hours anyway. I change oil about 45 hours or so, when my hanger time and hobbs meter meet. Seems there is always a rainy day or bad weather to allow the oil changes.....but that said, if the weather is good and the tach reads 49 hours....I'm flying and changing oil another day!! I have a filter!
Bob Martin
RV-6