Hornet2008

Well Known Member
I have a "oil breather hose" that came in my FWF kit. The maker and part # are NAPA 9816. I looked it up online and it is a water coolant hose. Is this suitable as an oil breather hose? If not, what have others used? I have read on builder's website that the hose could cause problems in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

Water coolant hoses will work as an oil breather hose for a short time. However, not being designed for petroleum products, they will deteriorate rather rapidly. You really should use a hose designed for petroleum products.

Oil will degrade the interior of the hose. I have had very good service with clear bulk hose of the same size from my local ACE hardware store. It has been in service for over 8 years with only a slight color change, but no reaction from the oil. Coolant hose is an oil based product and will get gooie inside from oil vapers.

The clear hose also makes it easy to inspect for proper venting...

Last edited:
I have a "oil breather hose" that came in my FWF kit. The maker and part # are NAPA 9816. I looked it up online and it is a water coolant hose. Is this suitable as an oil breather hose? If not, what have others used? I have read on builder's website that the hose could cause problems in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

Mine has lasted for 15 years and roughly a thousand hours with zero problems. I took it off yesterday to provide better access to the back of the engine, and have no qualms about re-installing it.

The pre-molded bend of the NAPA hose made it nice for the installation. Getting a piece of 6000 hose to make a tight 90* without kinking is tough, without an internal support. We've use convoluted teflon with success, but it isnt cheap.
Tom