lndwarrior

Well Known Member
The 90 degree oil breather fitting on my Lycoming O-235 points down at a 45 degree angle when fully tightened.

I would like it to point UP at 45 degrees so I can route the hose over the top of the engine and back to the firewall before dropping down and out. Ideally it would slope back to the engine fitting.

Either the fitting is loose if I stop it before it's tight, or it will not go around to the next 45 UP angle.

Here's a simple drawing of my problem:

ckDozdNnG1yr8n52A

So I'm stumped as to what to do.

If I route the hose up from the down 45 degree fitting I will create an oil trap and also block off too much of the cowl opening.

Am I simply stuck with running it straight down and then under the engine and back to the rear? I don't want to do this either because, again, it will block part of the cowl opening and I'm afraid the restriction will add to the cooling problems I am likely to face.

Does Lycoming make a straight fitting that would fit the engine?

Appreciate any suggestions!
Gary

Last edited:
It's a zero-pressure fitting. Put a bunch of Loctite on it and twist it where you want it.

It's venting the crankcase to atmosphere - what's the worst that can happen if it leaks at the threads?

It's a zero-pressure fitting. Put a bunch of Loctite on it and twist it where you want it.

It's venting the crankcase to atmosphere - what's the worst that can happen if it leaks at the threads?

To add to this...

Clock it where you want without over tightening and use locktite to hold it. Route the hose and use adel clamps to hold it where you want. The clamped hose will serve as an anti-rotation device.

Why oh why

Why, out why, did I waste two weeks trying to figure this out on my own - instead of just asking here?

Thank you for helping me out. I appreciate it!!!
Gary Welch

Why, out why, did I waste two weeks trying to figure this out on my own - instead of just asking here?

Thank you for helping me out. I appreciate it!!!
Gary Welch

This may be obvious to you, but if the engine has been run, be sure to clean the threads with a solvent first. The loctite needs a clean surface to adhere.

Larry

This may be obvious to you, but if the engine has been run, be sure to clean the threads with a solvent first. The loctite needs a clean surface to adhere.

Larry

When it comes to building an airplane there are very many things that are not obvious! Thanks for the tip.
Gary