RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I asked about this a while back but thought I would add a picture. This is what it looked like when I took off the filter air box to clean and inspect. I can see how fuel would get into there, I know some oil might be getting into the intake up by the valve cover but is this too much. I always have some of this fuel oil mixture, it is almost black.

So do I have a problem here, what should I look at next if anything? I am installing an oil separator so while the cowl is off I would like to track this down if this is considered abnormal.

Oil consumption seems normal, no black in exhaust only minor weeps in and around the engine. I do have a couple drops on the top of the air box that seem to come from oil that collect on the bottom of the starter, they are there every time I have taken the cowl off. does not appear oil is getting in from the dirty side of the filter, seems just on the inside. I guess it could be getting in at the alternate air door, it is a tight fit but no air tight.

Thanks for you input in advance.

Cheers

30uvaxy.jpg

Quick drain

Any chance you have an oil quick drain valve? I've seen those o-rings leak and put oil on top of the air box, as well as blow it all around inside the cowling, making it really hard to tell where it is coming from.

Vic

Yes

Any chance you have an oil quick drain valve? I've seen those o-rings leak and put oil on top of the air box, as well as blow it all around inside the cowling, making it really hard to tell where it is coming from.

Vic

I do have the quick drain, and it did seem to leak some so a couple oil changes ago I removed and reinstalled, since I thought it might be leaking at the threads. I looked at the seals then and I saw no obvious defects. It has a misting of oil on it but no like before when I would have oil drops on it, I also keep a rubber plug over the outlet, I suppose I could still be loosing some oil.

I do have a weep at the sump gasket, just below dip stick this is part of the reason I am putting in the Anti Splat Oil separator, it should draw a slight vacuum and I hear this can stop a lot of oil weeps.

I was not getting much oil on the belly with my old set up but enough that every other flight or so I would clean it off.

I suppose I can go back to the plug next oil change and see if that makes a difference or find a different quick drain.

Cheers

Mike-

Probably goes without saying, but you do have a couple holes drilled in your FAB, correct? One at the low point inside the filter and one at the lowpoint outside the filter? This should allow any excess fuel to drain out rather than pool in the box which would be a problem.

Also, FWIW, I have some of the same weeping oil issues as you,also with an Aerosport. The threads of my quick drain plug were weeping a bit and Aerosport suggested using some Loctite high-temp thread sealant for that and I haven't had problems there since.

I too am going to try the anti-splat vaccuum/separator. And see if that cuts down a bit both on the leaks and a bit higher-than-desired oil consumption.

Last edited:
Drain holes

Mike-

Probably goes without saying, but you do have a couple holes drilled in your FAB, correct? One at the low point inside the filter and one at the lowpoint outside the filter? This should allow any excess fuel to drain out rather than pool in the box which would be a problem.

Also, FWIW, I have some of the same weeping oil issues as you,also with an Aerosport. The threads of my quick drain plug were weeping a bit and Aerosport suggested using some Loctite high-temp thread sealant for that and I haven't had problems there since.

I too am going to try the anti-splat vaccuum/separator. And see if that cuts down a bit both on the leaks and a bit higher-than-desired oil consumption.

Thanks Steve, I do have the drain hole, one on the outside and one on the inside of the filter ring. Stuff never seem to drain there, mostly collects on the alternate air door which is on the bottom of the air box.

Just curious, do you have/use the purge valve for cutoff? If not then it very likely is excess fuel running down the intake pipe do to the lack of AFP true mixture cut-off.

Last edited:
Purge

Just curious, do you have/use the purge valve for cutoff? If not then it very likely is excess fuel running down the intake pipe do to the lack of AFP true mixture cut-off.

Walt, no I use the purge valve to start and shut down, but you are correct that could explain the fuel but I wonder if the amount of oil I have is abnormal. I can see fuel due to excessive prime but I usually only use a 5 sec shot for a cold start and that should be gone by the time I shut down but ther is definitely fuel and oil mixed.

Looks clean when I look up into the intake but there is an oil residue, it obviously collects at the bottom after shut down.

5 secs sound like a lot of prime to me (I probably use half that on a cold day).. hard to say what going on with oil, you could try securing the alt air door closed to eliminate oil getting sucked in from other leaks and then check it after a few hours.