Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of outfitting the hangar prior to moving the plane from the manufacturing complex, er, garage...soon, I hope to God...and procuring the expendables, consumables, etc. One item, of course, is mineral oil for the engine break-in period (btw...is there a recommendation for which one?), which prompted me to ask...

When do you start sending your oil in for analysis? During break-in? Starting with the very first oil change (which would be...? 25 hours? 10 hours?)? After that? 50 hours?

Just looking for good suggestions here...

As always, TIA!

mineral oil for break in is a matter of opinion.
Phillips Cross Country 20/50 ashless says right on the jug that it's usable for break in.
I got a leaky exhaust valve on the Cessna 182, which I discovered right after an oil change. I had a sump full of fresh Aeroshell 100 ashless. So I had the offending cylinder rebuilt, and put it on, running that Aeroshell 100. It broke in just fine.
As for oil samples taken during break-in, I say go for it! You should show wear metal in your sample for the first one or two sump fulls. Then you would see a tapering off as the normal long haul to TBO goes into effect.
If you are willing to pay for it, you may as well get the whole history.