vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
Ok, so I'm nowhere nere finishing this thing, but I had to share this moment.

Last night I bent the upper longerons for the 8. (In the newer kits, you assemble the forward fuse, then mid fuse, then join them, then add the tailcone, then drop in the upper longerons.) I had been dreading this activity for fear of screwing up these extra long pieces of angle. Part of this fear stems from the instructions calling out angles like 4.6 degrees and 2.7 degrees. At any rate, it had to be done, so on with it.

Measure, pre-load, whack, whack, whack, check angle. Pre-load, whack, you get the idea.

Anyway, when I got finished and fitted them, they fit pretty well but needed minor tweaks. Both need a slight increase in the rear bend, and one had a 30% or so twist along the rear section.

These were easy fixes, and when I put them back in place....they fit like a glove! Possibly the best fitting part of the whole thing!

Much like the idea of riveting seemed like a daunting task before I began this project, this too was no big deal. I hope the rest goes that smoothly!

RE:Ah, the good ole days

Bart

Thanks for memory lane.....it seems that just as I get one dreaded task done another is looming. :eek:

Congrats on a job well done. :D

Frank @ SGU RV7A ........wiring/wiring/did I say running wires