Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I got the information from the EAA Hot Line e-mail this evening. First, there is going to be an AirVenture Cup 2010 and second, it is going to be started out of the Mitchell, South Dakota airport like it was in 2008. They are going to include an LSA class which mistifies me a little bit - how can you have a race of airplanes that are limited to a modest top speed by regulation? When I first read the notice I thought they were telling me that the Chris Murphy organized speed dash was set as well but I will have to wait and see on that one - it would be a real treat for the spectators if the speed waivers can be obtained and the event implemented. The folks really turned out in 2008 and the race was great.

Bob Axsom

LSA Category

Bob,

LSA's are limited by calibrated airspeed at the manufacturer's recommended max RPM...to 120 knots. If this race is based on airspeed alone then I would have to agree. If groundspeed is permitted then of course two Cubs could have an interesting race. If its unlimited LSA I'll put my money on a Sonex with a Jab 3300.

AV Cup

I chatted with Eric last night and tried to get more details but he was tight lipped. They have not asked me to do anything concerning a speed dash but Eric and his crew are more than capable. He has expressed a passing interest in the electronic timing device we are working on and testing...? He has said they would like to do more to showcase the airplanes at MHE. What that means I don't know. I am looking forward to what ever they plan.

Chris M:)

If a PPL can fly an E-LSA aircraft at night if properly equiped, why can't we exceed the speed limit of 120 knots?

If a PPL can fly an E-LSA aircraft at night if properly equiped, why can't we exceed the speed limit of 120 knots?

Larry,

I think once you take you take a plane out of ELSA, it can't ever come back. Such as if you were discovered to be carrying 2000 lbs of Iowa corn. I think if you can certify it as aircraft and fly 120 as a sport pilot but not reverse. Lights are legal on ELSA's...weight and speed are not negotiable. Then again, I could be wrong...it has happened.

AVC Website to be updated soon according to ...

Chris Murphy reported no the SARL group site that he talked with Eric Whyte (The AVC boss) and the race is on but they are having trouble getting the website updated. Chris said to keep checking (which I do, often several times a day) the www.airventurecup.com website for updated info. The problem we always have is trying to meet all of the requirements, especially the insurance submission before the deadline which isn't even published yet. Those who have competed before in this event are cocked and ready when the current entry requirements are unveiled but it is tough for someone considering it for the first time to make the decision and then pull everything together and get it in to EAA Risk Management and the race manager (Eric) by the deadline.

Let me help you with the first part. It is absolutely the most fantastic and memorable event a regular private pilot can participate in. If you are considering it, just take a leap of faith and do it. It is something you will never forget. Chris relayed the entry deadline give to him by Eric as June 15, 2010. Get you entry in by the deadline even if it is flawed - my experience is if you have an entry in by the deadline they will allow the entry and work with you to clean up the discrepancies even after the deadline has passed. Eric is a very reasonable guy.

Bob Axsom

5-18-10 The AVC web site appears to be complete

5-18-10 The AVC web site appears to be complete and ready for business - rules and all.

Bob Axsom

It's Flakey

I can get the information on our PC but not our MAC so it is there but not all computers may have access.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
It's back...

It is back up on my Mac. I really wish that they would knock off the cute graphics, sound, and simply present the data. Anyone know if there are entry fees?

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

access

It seems the Flash is broken, couldn't make any links work on Safari, Firefox, or Opera. Flash stinks.

Hans

Entry Fees and Insurance Certification

In the past the entry fee has been $250 so I guess that it will be that or a little more this year.

Insurance Certification - Important!!!! All you repeating racers need to check this out right away. My insurance company was going through the process of sending the certificate of insurance as previously worded to the risk management office at EAA Headquarters per past requirements. That won't work - They have a specific form they want used now and they want it sent to Dick Keyt at the address which is provided in the instructions under "APPLY" at www.airventurecup.com. The AirVenture Cup Staff is asking for your cooperation in making this work - It has been getting worse and worse in the past and Dick (of Polen Special fame) has agreed to take over the responsibility for processing the forms and doing the Risk Management task.

Bob Axsom

Entry Fee $250-$275

A new link appears to have been added to the Apply page for the entry checklist (I believe it is identified CHKLST). If you get your entry in by June 15the entry fee is $250, after that it is $275.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
New classes and other info

Information obtained from the www.airventurecup.com website:

New Classes:

There is a SW class for Steve Wittman Tailwind aircraft with 360 cu. in. or less. and Sportsman Light for Experimental Category aircraft meeting the rules of the Light Sport Category. I don't remember seeing RGT Class before either but it is in there now - retractable, turbocharged with 360 cu. in. or less (think Polen Special).

Finish Line:

At private airport Snow Crest Ranch in Montello, Wisconsin.

After finish options:

Go to Oshkosh via FISK arrival, refuel at Dodge County or fly to Fond Du Lac for the later group arrival at Oshkosh.

Temporay tanks:

Temporary tanks in the cockpit are not allowed according to the rules but the FAQ section says the long range tanks are generally allowed on a case by case basis.

Bob Axsom

entry fee

You might think the entry fee is high but it usually includes a pass into AirVenture for the duration of the event, catered dinner the night before the race, and maybe a T shirt and parking close to show center.

Bob is right about the AV Cup being a great thing to do with your airplane. If you win thats great but just having the experience and meeting the people is worth every dime. IF you are going to AirVenture anyway this is THE BEST way to get there.

Chris M RACE34

Link on the event from EAA

I got this in an e-mail from the EAA today - the photos give a little more feel for the event. http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/100520_avcup.html. No worry about the closeness of the airplanes in the photos. The takeoff in in single file with 20-30 second spacing with the fastest to slowest launch order you seldom see another airplane during the race as the spacing continues to grow.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
54 Entries in this year's AirVenture Cup Race

David Adams (Long EZ racer) reported that he was told by the race organizer (Race Boss) that there are 54 entries in this year's race.

Bob Axsom

Entry List Update 7-10-10

Red Hamilton is in with his very fast Wittman Tailwind.

Bob Axsom

The following racers are registered for the AirVenture Cup race as of 10 July, 2010

Race # Name Aircraft Class
Race 24 Rich Guerra Velocity XL RG "Chipper" Sport
Race 43 Bob Mills RV Super-6 Sport FX
Race 109 Tom Martin EVO Rocket "Evo One" Sport FX
Race 91 Bruce Hammer Glasair I TD "Red Dog" FX Blue
Race 911 Burrall Sanders Cozy III FX Blue
Race 37 Red Hamilton Wittman W10 FX Red
Race 61D Tim Bovee Mustang II "Purty Pony" FX Red
Race 99 Kerry Fritz Long EZ FX Red
Race 18 John Huft RV-8 "Nuisance" RV Blue
Race 21 Tom Moore RV-7A RV Blue
Race 42 Bob Axsom RV-6A "Blue Bird" RV Blue