mikehoover

Well Known Member
Anybody ever see or build a loft office in a standard tee hangar? I remember seeing a couple of photos from a fly-in that happened to show a nice enclosed office "upstairs." Thought that would be a real nice set up. This one had an enclosed stair w/entry door on the ground floor.

I have one...

so I'll try to take some pictures and post them in a the next day or two. If you look in Sport Aviation a month or two ago, there is a picture of me in an add for EAA which was taken in my hangar and gives a glimpse of the mezzanine but I will try to post more detailed pictures.

Bill Near

I'm looking at the same arrangement for my hangar, is there some guidance out there for construction practices and appropriate materials?

Jim

Structure inside a Hangar

Is this your personal hangar or do you lease it from the airport? David as a good point that you will need the permission of whomever owns the hangar and local building permits.

It may also be against the rules of the airport, so check into that as you do not want to violate your lease and get booted from the airport.

We have had people that have built lofts like what you mention but for storage, some of them looked so rickety they could collapse at anytime, held together by duct tape and bailing wire.

Mezzanine

My mezzanine was built by a local builder and is built out of 4x4 steel posts with steel floor joists. Half is for storage and half is finished with carpetting, painted walls, two love seats and A/C. The stairway is made out of 4x4 studs and is as solid as the stairs in your house. He pulled a building permit and had it inspected by a local Florida building inspector. The next hurricane may demollish my hangar but the mezzanine will still be standing. Cosmetically it's not that beautiful so after my next airplane project, I might dress it up a bit.

I'll post pictures. If you need more detail, PM me.

Bill Near