rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I am thinking about buying a plane to stay current while I'm building my RV-9A.
A friend locally has a Cessna 150 (1968-H) for sale. It has less than 2000 TT hours and 150 SMOH. Does anyone know if there is anything about this particular year model that makes it more or less desireable than any other similar year. It needs some TLC and that's good because I'm hoping to sell her later and make a few dollars or not lose any. It reminds me of when I bought my 172 several years ago. The tires were flat and it had bird crap all over it. I flew it for 7 years and sold it for $8,000 more than I paid for it. I almost broke even. ;)

rv9aviator said:
A friend locally has a Cessna 150 (1968-H) for sale. It has less than 2000 TT hours and 150 SMOH. Does anyone know if there is anything about this particular year model that makes it more or less desireable than any other similar year. It needs some TLC and that's good because I'm hoping to sell her later and make a few dollars or not lose any. It reminds me of when I bought my 172 several years ago. The tires were flat and it had bird crap all over it. I flew it for 7 years and sold it for $8,000 more than I paid for it. I almost broke even. ;)
Jim,
As a longtime C-150 owner, I would suggest you pose your query at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cessna_150_152_group/
They have just as many opinionated members as we do. Some of them are really quite knowledgeable too!
Seriously, if the price is right you just can't go wrong buying the right 150 to keep current in and reselling it later. My plane just doesn't qualify for your particular plans though. It is an exceptionally clean 1966 F model with "3" SMOH and that includes 4 new ECI Titan cylinders. I will list it for top dollar when I get around to it. I can wait as long as it takes. I see it as the perfect choice for the well-to-do parent to buy for their would-be student pilot son or daughter.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Cessna 150's are cessna 150's. They didn't change WHOLE lot fromt he start to finish of the production (The biggest changes were omniview, fiberglass nosebowl, round main gear legs, electric flaps), The '68 should have the Omniview, and electric flaps, which if you care is nice. But for a currancy airplane, as long as it flys without too much maintainence, your good. You want to be spending time build RV's, not fixing 150's.

rv9aviator said:

How much did the maintenance cost you every year?

We considered doing something like this too and decided it was WAY cheaper and easier to just rent a plane every couple of weeks. I probably spend a couple of hundred bucks a month and putt around the pattern in the Citrabria or go out and do some acro. You know...just enough to stay sharp. Just your insurance costs alone would pay for a few months maintianing your flying skills if you rent.

Just another perspective.

My average cost to annual the 172 was probably $300-$500. I never spent much money except what I wanted to. If we had a 150 to rent here I would probably go that route and fly 2 or 3 hours a month. The only plane we have here is a 182 at $135.00 per hour. That's nearly $5,000 a year. Even if I spent that much on buying a 150 I would get most of it back. It will make a good bank account for the engine when I'm ready too.

keeping current/ getting hours expansion...

I'm a not yet a pilot [went yesterday and got the name/# of the instructor nearest me :D..].

Ultimately I have a 10-13 year, 1,200nm r/t, 2-4 time a month commute. I want experimental and it is coming down to a Cozy IV or an -9 or -7 [leaning heavily this way]. I'll need IFR. Sooo...

as I begin I have been considering buying a 152 or similar to used to for training and hour accumulation. The instructor has a t/d available and I want that ultimately so my questions are:

Is there a separate requirement for t/d currancy or if I have that as my training and endorcement can n/w wheel hours keep me current.

If I'm in a hurry [i think I heard somewhere that 200 hr miminum before IFR training?] to get hours can I get everything in something like a 152?

For insurance purposes do hours count or only 'hours in type'.

Thanks all for your kind and gentle, tolerant help...

John

Always had a soft spot for 150s

If you need a plane to keep your hand in flying while you build I can't imagine one that will give you more for less than the 150. If the radios work and the engine overhaul was good and the plane has a painted skin you are probably just looking at oil, filter, tires, brakes for routine maintenance. Facility costs, taxes, insurance cost, fuel cost, and motivation for working on your RV cost, time away from working on your RV cost are other things to consider.

I had a 1981 Archer II while I was building the RV and I did remain a pilot through the process but I really enjoyed the Archer and flying in general so my lust for flying the RV might not have been as strong as it could have been. On the other hand I was in no panic to get it done and I did everything on the RV as good as I possibly could. It is hard to say the exact effect of owning a plane had while I built for the first seven years (it actually took 8 years to finish but after I had the RV flying I sold the Archer.

If I had the choice you have to make I would buy the 150, keep it in as good a shape as I could, keep flying and be finished building the RV when it is finished without a lot of "git 'R done" thinking. My priorities are skewed toward the flying end of aviation even though I treasure every minute spent building my RV.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Thanks Bob and all the rest. Now I have to make sure I really want to spend the money. I bet it was windy at your place today,BOB. It liked to have blown us away here in Harrison.

This is a pretty good group

Glad you got the info you needed Jim. By the way, along the lines of building your RV inspiration, Barry West and I were going to his hangar at Drake to fly his Kitfox to Wedington Woods for an Ultralite group's Chili dinner. We turned off of Highway 71 at about 11:45 am Saturday 1-7-06 and we are treated to a rare vision of two RVs taxiing onto runway 16. They did not take off as a group of two which I expected from the way they were taxiing and I could not make out the color schemes but the image was striking! There is something about an RV that is fighter like in proportion and movement that cannot be ignored. The first to takeoff was a taildragger and the second was an "A" model. Barry was driving along the perimeter road watching what he was doing and thinking about the upcoming Kitfox flight I'm sure but I'm watching the RVs depart. They were impressive. Do you get many over at Harrison?

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Occasionally we have a transient come through. One local has two RV-6's that he rebuilt from salvage and both are flying. Me and one other person in Harrison are building RV-9A's. You are right about how inspiring they look when they taxi out. It makes me want a taildragger but I know I am probably better off with an A model for my purpose. If you ever have an hour to kill, come to Harrison, I'll buy you lunch and show you my project.

You know, I've never been involved with a hobby that has such a diverse bunch of folks working at a common goal and are so eager to lend a hand. We had a family fly into Harrison that wanted to drive to Branson Mo. for the weekend but couldn't get a rental car. My friend that is building the other RV-9A just pointed out to his car and said, I'll see you Sunday evening! Of course the fellows mouth fell open and asked how much to use the car for the weekend. My friend said, just put some gas back in when your done. That's the kind of people I get to hang out with. Ain't life grand. :)