Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
There is no good place to post this, But I know someone like Mel will have a good idea of what the answer is.
I had someone give me about a half gallon of "L.P.S.#3" a couple of weeks ago. It has been setting a few years and the old cap did not stay sealed all the way. So it lost some of it's mass. It is still good, but a little thicker than I would like. It would save me some calling to "L.P.S" or finding a spray can to read you know, what's in it. If one of you good Chem. guys know what to thin "L.P.S.#3" with, Thanks for your help on this one. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

best question...ever!

Rob, you may have just started a flurry of research by 173 semi-retired guys to find out what you have! :)
I'm gonna say.....ah....LPS #5???

seriously, I suppose the acetone and some of the mineral spirits have evaporated, but rather than try to get it back to #3, I'd just use it as a slightly heavier oil.
wipe it on the surface of your table saw, put it in little ' poonka-poonka' oil cans and use it on your garage door hinges etc.
also should be a good 'belly cleaner'........

I personally wouldn't put it in a spray can and try to fog the interior of my fuselage for corrosion resistance...it probably ain't gonna do that penetration thing very well anymore, but who knows?

Kinda fun going to the LPS site, and seeing that they have come up with 1,249 ways to 'oil' things eh?

There was a thick, wax like paste, dark brown in color that we used to call CPC grade 4 (corrosion preventative compound). I don't remember the mil-spec number (mil-c-16173 I think).

We used it on the upper flight controls on our helo's. Also on connecting bolts for the landing gear sissors links and other bare cadmium plated hardware. Took a little PD-680, or similar solvent to clean it off. But, it worked great in salt-water environments.

I'll bet your dried up LPS #3 is probably pretty similar by now.

Thanks guys.

I had thought that Mineral spirits wood be a good bet, and I think we will go there first. We have used "L.P.S.#3" for many years now for lots of needs. This is the first time I think we have ever needed to thin any, as we used it to fast or kept it sealed tight. I would like to give back a little here to pay my tab, if you will. One of the things we use the bulk form for is to pickle an engine. We mix, 30% 20w-50 aero shell, 30% "S.T.P.", and 30% L.P.S.#3 in a small cup. Then get a 1/4" art brush and do our normal assembly, but paint every bit of every thing inside, even over our main lube joints. Two three coats like this going together and seal it all up when you close.
I have been known to put a engine pickled like this away for as long as 8-10 years. Come back to it, prime the oil system, spin it through to get pressure and bring it to life with no rust or bad problems to speak of.
Thanks again, yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Yep

Yep I should have known with a formula this old, Mineral Spirits works just fine. We mixed a small cup and it came out just like the stuff we already had. So we slowly put in a little and a little more till it looks and smells and runs just like the bulk we use all the time. Thanks guys. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888