cjensen

Well Known Member
Can someone show me how this switch is to be wired? I've searched the net/VAF/Aero Electric...I have come up with many schematics, but I don't get the drawing of that switch.

What I need, is someone to lead my by the hand (with a picture of the back of the switch) to show me what wires go where.

Anybody have a pic of this? Single battery, single alternator...positions will be: off/battery on/battery and alternator on.

How???

:confused:

Can someone show me how this switch is to be wired? I've searched the net/VAF/Aero Electric...I have come up with many schematics, but I don't get the drawing of that switch.

What I need, is someone to lead my by the hand (with a picture of the back of the switch) to show me what wires go where.

Anybody have a pic of this? Single battery, single alternator...positions will be: off/battery on/battery and alternator on.
Chad,
I would also be interested in hearing replies on this wiring as I am working on wiring in my plane as well.

I also have a question concerning the split alt/bat switch. However, I do not want to hijack this thread so I will post the question in its own thread here.

Chad, look at the drawing in Bobs book. The switch contacts are numbered, and the schematic refers to these.

Z11, is the setup for what you want.

I don't have time to draw it, but use the EX11 AeroElectric article as a start:

http://www.bandc.biz/switches.pdf

On page 3, it shows the switch types -- 2-10 (on-on-on) is the switch you want. The top portion is the Master contactor control, the lower half is for the alternator. Here is the wiring layout:

#2 goes to ground
#1 goes to the master contactor. This way the master contactor is grounded when the switch is in the middle and upper position.
#3 is unused

#5 goes to the alternator breaker/fuse (5A typically)
#4 goes to the alternator. This is so the alternator is only energized when the switch is in the top position.
#6 is unused.

---#4 goes to the alternator. This is so the alternator is only energized when the switch is in the top position.

Actually, to the regulator, be it internal, or external.

If you have an external regulator, make sure this wire goes to it, and not the alternator.

Actually, to the regulator, be it internal, or external.

If you have an external regulator, make sure this wire goes to it, and not the alternator.

Sorry....I should preface the way I described was for the Plane Power alternator, which Chad is using.

K...so #5 goes to an inline fuse off the main terminal on the Z-11 drawing...are people doing this, or can this be done with a standard 5A fuse in the main bus block?

Also, does the ANL current limiter come in to play with this switch, or is that just on the firewall side?

Man, I was feeling so good about wiring...then I hit a wall...:rolleyes:

K...so #5 goes to an inline fuse off the main terminal on the Z-11 drawing...are people doing this, or can this be done with a standard 5A fuse in the main bus block?

Either way works.....I chose a circuit breaker off the main bus so I could reset it in flight.

Also, does the ANL current limiter come in to play with this switch, or is that just on the firewall side?

The ANL is strictly firewall forward.

Either way works.....I chose a circuit breaker off the main bus so I could reset it in flight.

Yeah, I don't want to get in to circuit breakers...my fuse panel will be accessible in flight thru a flip down panel. Can I wire this to the main bus with a 5A fuse, rather than off the main terminal?

The ANL is strictly firewall forward.

That's what I thought...just wanted to be sure...:cool:

What's a keyway, and how do I figure out which way is up in order to figure out which tabs are which number?

:confused:Again...

S700-2-10

Chad - the keyway is the slot that's machined across the threads. It accepts a washer with two tabs - one inside to engage the slot, the other outside to engage a register hole that you drill in the panel. It's job is to keep the switch from rotating once it's mounted.

Be careful hooking this switch up per the drawings. Use your ohm meter to check the function before you install the wires. There has been a rash of switches that turned out to be up-side-down from the drawings in the 'Connection.