Vlad

Well Known Member
Due to upcoming work on the runway and parking I will relocate my aircraft off airport. Other then driving steel stakes to the ground I am wondering what others did to make tiedown flush with surface and strong enough to withstand a 30+ kts wind? I would like to install two sets of tie downs one over rocky surface and the second set on a clay/sand dirt. Would appreciate any advice and reference.

Hey pal, how about making some out of 5/8 or 3/4 inch rebar? Like they use at Kosh. Would require welding a loop near the driving end for the rope. Maybe 3-4’ long. Drive them into the ground with a sledge at a 60 degree angle. They work well at Kosh. Might not work so well in the rocky soil, but possibly in the clay. Going to be out that way soon.

Last edited:
Just me

Now that it is 100+ degrees outside, why not go for it? Dig a hole, pour in a bag of concrete with a rebar hook. Three bags per should be enough in a 1’ x 1’ x 2’ deep hole. Digging sure beats driving in a rod with a sledge hammer.

Hammer drill

Hi Vlad. Hope all is well. Miss you out East.

Just a thought.... For the rock: Rent a large hammer drill from
HD or local tool rental. Drill a hole and put in some expansion or epoxy set
Anchor bolts that are used for foundation anchors. Weld a ring on top.

For the hard soil. Rent a hole auger, pour some concrete and set the anchor/ring.

Al

Attachments

• 41D9D77C-56A4-495A-A86B-55A742A1B6D1.jpg
    41D9D77C-56A4-495A-A86B-55A742A1B6D1.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 300
The FAA publishes a document about tie downs that includes a couple of examples.
FAA AC 20-35C