cbo111

First, I gotta say this site is an amazing source for flying techniques, maintenance and building tips, and a host of other valuable information. So maybe some of you can help answer a question that for some reason I have been pondering lately. In 20+ years I've been lucky enough to never be forced to land off of an airport runway. The question is, what would I do if I was forced to make an engine-out landing to some road or highway a couple hundred miles from my home drone? Who would I call, is there a service out there that transports intact aircraft with blown engines? Anybody with experience out there, I would be interested in your story.
regards,
Chuck Olsen
RV-7A
Tehachapi, CA

Interesting question. When a local 182 landed in a field several miles away due to a poorly installed oil filter assembly, numerous local folks helped. A tow company with a flatbed that tilts down was used to transport it back to the airport it along with the local sheriffs office.

With RVs people generally just pull the wings on-site, load it on a flat bed trailer or flat bed tow truck and bring it back to the airport (after NTSB/FAA release it of course).

Different places

I forget exactly where it was, Washington state I believe, where a Cessna 210 landed on a road due to fuel starvation.

They gassed up the airplane, the Sheriff and local fire department closed off the road, the 210 took off but miscalculated its takeoff roll and hit one of the fire trucks parked alongside the road, hooked right and ended up in a ditch.

Nobody hurt, but lots of lessons learned.

I've personally (intentionally) landed off-airport multiple times. I always have that nagging thought - - - what happens if it won't start again? So far, I haven't found out.

G.

Greg, I think I saw that video. Another case of poor judgment/prudent check of everything before take-off.

... The question is, what would I do if I was forced to make an engine-out landing to some road or highway a couple hundred miles from my home drone? Who would I call, is there a service out there that transports intact aircraft with blown engines? ...
Chuck,

First call would be to Doug and ask him to check his list to find out if there are any local RV'ers close by. Second call would be to the EAA national to get the number of the local Chapter.

Between those two contacts, you should have no problem getting the plane either fixed or back to an airport where it can be fixed.

As a former EAA chapter president, I have helped with everything from a B-17 to C-150. The chapters are a great resource and are worth the cost of membership in the national.

Remove the wings!

I had to move my 7A from a clover field
to my hangar about 40 miles away.
(There was no damage other than
where a cylinder tried to come through
the side of my cowling.)

I removed the wings, it's much cheaper.
Otherwise, you have to close the roads
do to the wide load specs.

To move it with wings on, ODOT wanted
me to hire two off duty patrolmen plus
pay rent on their patrol cars. Over $3K
not counting using an 'approved' wide
load carrier. The roads would have been
closed in sections.

My route had to use US and State highways.
Anything over 12' wide and you are out of luck.

Tom

The first thing I would do is call 911, to let whoever know if your ok (or not), and to cover your butt......then fill out a NASA form....

Louisiana

I forget exactly where it was, Washington state I believe, where a Cessna 210 landed on a road due to fuel starvation.

They gassed up the airplane, the Sheriff and local fire department closed off the road, the 210 took off but miscalculated its takeoff roll and hit one of the fire trucks parked alongside the road, hooked right and ended up in a ditch.

Nobody hurt, but lots of lessons learned.

I've personally (intentionally) landed off-airport multiple times. I always have that nagging thought - - - what happens if it won't start again? So far, I haven't found out.

G.

It happened in South Louisiana.

This is a little off subject, but relevant. I was looking at buying a flying RV-6 to renovate the panel over the winter and asked a local FAA Safety Inspector if I could legally land on the road in front of my house. It is an interesting question, and he found out it depends on local regs. The FAA really didn't care as long as local laws were not broken. In Nebraska, I could legally land the plane on the road (in the country) if we call the county sheriff first and to get "permission". Take off (after renovation) would be the same thing. I would imagine the first time I did it there might be a "fee" for having two deputies to block off the road.
So the answer was; It depends on your local law enforcement and how much they see it as a risk, and (after reading about the Cessna hitting the firetruck) what their experience has been.

More on point to your question if I was a ways away from my home airport I would contact the nearest EAA chapter and ask for help, if no VAF members were close.

Last edited:
How they do it in far away country

... So maybe some of you can help answer a question that for some reason I have been pondering lately. In 20+ years I've been lucky enough to never be forced to land off of an airport runway. The question is, what would I do if I was forced to make an engine-out landing to some road or highway a couple hundred miles from my home drone? Who would I call, is there a service out there that transports intact aircraft with blown engines? Anybody with experience out there, I would be interested in your story.
regards,

Chuck, probably it will be of very little help but anyway - in a distant land where less litigious society lives, pilots and owners of small airplanes ( both homebuilt and certified) have an unofficial database. The database includes volunteers and their current phone ## in "assigned" area who can help in case of off airport landing. Usually those people live and fly in the vicinity of the sector where possible trouble may occur. The database also includes other means of help i e medical quals/access, tractor/quad/SUV availability and more. Please notice all that is not a substitute to "official" rescue missions, it's just a supplement. The project was organized recently after a Cessna landed off airport due to carb ice. Group of enthusiasts pilots spent many hours trailering poor Cessna with wings removed in the middle of nowhere. Rescue was successful and idea of civil aeronautical patrol got further development...