fstringham7a

Well Known Member
I am at that point where I need to purchase a charger for my Odyssey 680.
The Dynons need a trickle charge to maintaine backup battery and clock.....etc. I am looking at the Odyssey Ultimizer but need some info as to best place to buy/best price/and experience with the unit. Also any info on other trickle/chargers used with the 680.
TIA
Frank @ SGU I hope!!!! RV7A ...heated seat wiring completed today:D..they are nice and warm butg are big energy users:eek:

I am at that point where I need to purchase a charger for my Odyssey 680.
The Dynons need a trickle charge to maintaine backup battery and clock.....etc. I am looking at the Odyssey Ultimizer but need some info as to best place to buy/best price/and experience with the unit. Also any info on other trickle/chargers used with the 680.
TIA
Frank @ SGU I hope!!!! RV7A ...heated seat wiring completed today:D..they are nice and warm butg are big energy users:eek:

Back when I kept an iPaq in the plane and needed to maintain a float charge on the battery, a Battery Tender Jr. did a good job of keeping the battery topped off:

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-jr-12v-0_75a-battery-charger.html

It also keeps a tired motorcycle battery and a couple of other batteries in storage in the shop happy.

But the Odyssey has such good shelf life that it probably doesn't need charging even with the Dynon if the plane is flown every week or so. I don't have a battery in my Dynon but the Odyssey stays hot for several weeks (never had it go down) even though there are a couple of stay-alive (clock) circuits in the panel.

Last edited:
Frank,
I am using the Battery Tender, (Deltran Corp.), Power Tender Plus.
It is a 12 volt, 5 amp, waterproof battery charger.
It lists for over $100, but a quick check shows about
$75 on line. I'm happy with it, and have had it connected
for about the last two years of the build and close to
two years flying. It connects easily through the oil check
door to my firewall mounted Odyssey 680 battery.
One end of the supplied connector stays attached to the battery.
I need to mention, it puts out some radio interference when charging.

It was recommended by Odyssey before they came out
with their own charger. You can go cheaper if you don't
need a recharger/maintainer and just trickle charge your battery.

Tom