jrvssgl

Well Known Member
First off, I would like to thank MGL Avionics, and Sport Flying Shop for sending me this beautiful Odyssee glass Panel!!!

If it works only 1/2 as good as it looks, it will really be something!!! It fits my RV-7 panel like a glove, and looks friggin awesome!!!

i have a question for anyone who has had success linking an MGL product to an Icom A210 to enable the automatic frequency selection. Does it work? Are the two compatible? What pin goes to what pin? The icom wiring diagram shows the pins for freq selection, however I believe that these pins are for a stick switch that actually grounds out the pins to make the freq go up or down. Any successful experienced advise welcome.

Thank you

Jarvis Siegel

First off, I would like to thank MGL Avionics, and Sport Flying Shop for sending me this beautiful Odyssee glass Panel!!!

If it works only 1/2 as good as it looks, it will really be something!!! It fits my RV-7 panel like a glove, and looks friggin awesome!!!

i have a question for anyone who has had success linking an MGL product to an Icom A210 to enable the automatic frequency selection. Does it work? Are the two compatible? What pin goes to what pin? The icom wiring diagram shows the pins for freq selection, however I believe that these pins are for a stick switch that actually grounds out the pins to make the freq go up or down. Any successful experienced advise welcome.

Thank you

Jarvis Siegel

Hi Jarvis,
The GPS connections for the ICOM 210 are on pins 1 and 2 of the molex connector. The GPS input to the ICOM goes to pin 1. The GPS output from the ICOM is on pin 2. However, you probably dont need to hook up the GPS output on pin 2 to be able to send freqs to the ICOM. I didnt when I hooked it up to the Garmin GPS496.
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/kb/Article.aspx?ArticleNumber=7B2A454927

Tom

Thank you for the reply, I will give that a try. Oh My!! I hope soon I will fly!! Instead of just buy buy buy!

I could probably keep going but i won't.

Thanks again

Jarvis Siegel

Hi Jarvis,
I am afraid I have bad news for you.
The Icom 210 does not allow setting of frequencies remotely like many other radios that are supported by Odyssey (for example the Icom SL40 or SL30).
I am not sure why Icom decided not to include this as it would obviously make a lot of sense.
I'll have to investigate what we can possibly do to work around this or do something at least somewhat useable for this radio.
The general idea behind Odyssey (and our other instruments) is that the instrument maintains the database for the various frequency groups and locations and of course this is coupled to where you are located according to the GPS.
It looks like Icom tried to put some functionality into this radio that should actually be left to the EFIS for obvious reasons and reports we are getting seem to indicate that the GPS/frequency thingy in radio is perhaps not that usable - I don't know, I have not tried it myself.

Currently, raidios that are directly supported are the SL30, SL40, Filser, XCOM and of course our own radios.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Thank you

Jarvis Siegel

Currently, raidios that are directly supported are the SL30, SL40, Filser, XCOM and of course our own radios.

Hi Rainier,
You know I'm going to ask! How are your radios coming along? Do you have an anticipated release date? I've not looked into your Radios yet, and have been considering the Icom...maybe not anymore, though. If yours are ready soon I will probably go that route. Also, do you have a more specific date for Voyager other than Q2?

Sorry to take this thread off topic. :D

Hi Jarvis,
I am afraid I have bad news for you.
The Icom 210 does not allow setting of frequencies remotely like many other radios that are supported by Odyssey (for example the Icom SL40 or SL30).

Rainer, I think you meant to say like the "Garmin SL40 or SL30". Anyways, from what I've read about this radio it can be remotely controled by either a GPS or some other device. http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/avionics/panelmount/a210/default.aspx

Is it only a matter of time before you will support it?

Christopher.

Odyssee and Icom mismatch

Thank you rainer for the reply. I will hold off on hooking up the odyssee to the Icom for now. I do not like the sizzling sounds associated with incorrect wiring. It is expensive. If something does come along that will make the two unite, please make a post here to let everyone know. The icom is a very popular radio thus far, and i think a lot of people would be very happy to see this work. This is another one of those moments for me that I wish i could go back and change what I thought at the time was a good idea. ie. garmin radio vs icom radio. Oh well.

I am guessing that the audio link between the icom and Odyssee are compatible though, I hope. I am going to try the icoms built in intercom system. I guess after I have it hooked up I will see if it works to my expectation. If not I might have to shell out more denaro for an appropriate intercom system. i hope not.

Jarvis Siegel