Thats great news :)
I called the N.A. distubutor and am on the delivery list for the Odyssey, Radio, and Transponder.

Tried to download the panel cutout PDF...no joy.

Last edited:
Awesome news Rainier. Any news on the release date for the nav/com and transponder? I think I'll be in the market sometime around May 2008.

Anyone know if this thing will fit a -9? I'm guessing panel support modifications will be necessary?

Awesome news Rainier. Any news on the release date for the nav/com and transponder? I think I'll be in the market sometime around May 2008.

Anyone know if this thing will fit a -9? I'm guessing panel support modifications will be necessary?

Nav is slated for around middle of 2008, Com should be out in January.

We decided to split the two so they are independent but can be joined and used as one if required. We found the additional cost of this was marginal so it just made sense and gives more flexibility. For example, you could get a COM now and the matching NAV later or perhaps you allready have a nice COM and are just looking for a cheap NAV.

Transponder is the last we will tackle, it's a paper project as of right now.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Thanks for the update! Hope I'm not being too pushy by asking if there has been any progress on the Voyager. For my RV-7A panel, it's the right size! :D

I'm working hard on it !
It's mainly a mechanical thing as it uses most of the electronics from Odyssey and also all of the Odyssey software.
I would guess it should be ready very early next year.
We don't have the displays yet but should be having a prototype in our hands within a week or so. These displays are kind of custom built so it is allways a bit of a tug-of-war with the manufacturer.
We're trying to make the Voyager display as good as the Odyssey display - it's not as easy as it may seem but we will get there.
It's a nice size, right in the middle between Enigma and Odyssey.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Thanks for the update! Hope I'm not being too pushy by asking if there has been any progress on the Voyager. For my RV-7A panel, it's the right size! :D

Voyager mockup

Here's a link to a photo of my RV-9A panel, with the dual Voyager mockups in place:
cee8.jpg

Here's a link to a photo of my RV-9A panel, with the dual Voyager mockups in place:
cee8.jpg

Hey Craig, nice looking panel, but are you sure those are Voyagers? I did some basic measurements on my panel this morning for the Odyssey and it seemed to be the same size as yours (roughly...it's hard to tell from your picture).

If those ARE Voyagers, I'm glad I'm not going with the Odyssey! Way too big...

Odyssey -vs- Voyager

Hey Craig, nice looking panel, but are you sure those are Voyagers? I did some basic measurements on my panel this morning for the Odyssey and it seemed to be the same size as yours (roughly...it's hard to tell from your picture).

If those ARE Voyagers, I'm glad I'm not going with the Odyssey! Way too big...

Here's what my panel looked like with Odysseys:

Here's what it looks like with Voyagers:

*NOTE: Since there is no physical Voyager in existence yet, I took the Odyssey picture and cut off the left side buttons, since the Voyager won't have it, then re-sized the photo to the tentative dimensions of the Voyager.

Ahhh...your note explains it all. The screen size is misleading. I like the way you have the Odyssey's laid out...which is how I intend to do my panel. Radio stack in the middle, EFIS systems on each side. I can't wait!

Voyager final looks are getting closer.
Obviously, it is a very compatible look to Odyssey. Odyssey type keypad on the right side but with a single rather than two rotary controls. SD card slot on the left side like Enigma. This makes everything fit nicely with a very balanced look and feel.
The rotary controls are assignable - very quick and simple, no menues to go through, it almost does not matter if you have two or only one rotary control.

I am finalizing the mold design now.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Ahhh...your note explains it all. The screen size is misleading. I like the way you have the Odyssey's laid out...which is how I intend to do my panel. Radio stack in the middle, EFIS systems on each side. I can't wait!

for those still not convinced...beware, shameless plug warning

G'day All,

before I start, I am in no way affiliated with MGL, I say this for fear that my comments might seem a bit 'keen'...

Now that the above has primed you...

I was in the cape town area a few weeks ago and Rainier kindly let me pop by for a quick sticky at his cool toys. Firstly, I reckon MGL must have one of the best views from their workshop in the world!
Back to business, the superb functionality of the unit is well known from the info on their site and from other posts etc, but, I like others here, was most interested to see the quality of the screen in person. Folks, it is the best screen I have ever seen, no jokes, it is stunning. Refresh rates are superb, clarity from all angles, light and distances is unreal. The other bit which struck me while rainier was going thru various modes etc is the simplicity of its control inputs, very quick and easy. Also interesting was how quickly the unit boots up.

So folks, only question to ask oneself is when to place your order. I placed mine for 2 units right there and then.

Salaams
JD
ps...Rainier, my brother's comment in the car afterwards was "I wonder if I could get a job there?"

Have any of you compared the engine sensors of the MGL range with those of GRT and AFS ? Opinions ?

Thanks for the kudus John,
I did not realize I manged such an impact on the two of you.
Well, it's coming together, just collected the front panel frames for the first batch so tomorrow we can start putting the mechanics for the first batch together. Just received word as well that the X-Ray inspection of our Odyssey CPU boards (first batch) has them all passed, not bad going for a high density multi layer board with a nasty BGA CPU (325 balls, lead free for those that know the manufacturing nightmares this can cause).

So, touch wood and I'm holding both thumbs that there is not anything unexpected waiting in the wings, but (carefully stated) I think it's all systems go. It will be nice to get the first batch out, it's been an incredible journey to get to this point with a lot of hard work and ethusiasm from all involved, even those not part of our company.

As far as the job goes, we're full house from the location were we are now, in fact about 1/3 of MGL operates from another location as we don't have enough space. If we move (I hope we don't have to), we will loose the nice view you mention.

If you want to see the view, easy:
Use Google Earth, point to 34 degrees, 03 minutes, 47.1 seconds South,
18 degrees, 08 minutes, 85 seconds East.
Zoom into our house and premisses next to a small park, then put yourself in a 3D perspective view and look about east to south over the False bay coast and the Hotentots Holland mountain range (that is my view out of the window where I am typing this right now).
The Google image is an older one, perhaps 2 years old I'd guess, shot in the summer long after the last rains so things look a little dry. Currently, thanks to good winter rains (that for some reason have not stopped yet), everthing is a lush green.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

G'day All,

before I start, I am in no way affiliated with MGL, I say this for fear that my comments might seem a bit 'keen'...

ps...Rainier, my brother's comment in the car afterwards was "I wonder if I could get a job there?"

I am also very excited about the Odyssey. But I still havent seen the Expected price in US Dollars?
I am ready to order if I can get a price.
Al Grajek
RV8

Have any of you compared the engine sensors of the MGL range with those of GRT and AFS ? Opinions ?

We don't make many sensors, only two types - EGT and CHT. The EGT is made in a bolt and two versions of clamp types. We use mineral fibre insulated, stainless braided cable rated to about 2000 degrees F.
We do not use cheap glass fibre insulated cable.
Thermocouple itself lives in a high grade steel sleeve that can withstand these temperatures without going soft and bending. Thermocouple is welded in an argon atmosphere so there are no oxygen inclusions (long term oxidizing/failure issue).
All our CHT probes are "under the plug" types made from a single piece water cut pure copper sheet for good heat conduction and good sealing (copper is a little soft so that helps). The ring includes an extention that holds the thermocouple that is brazed on so it does not break easily after repeated plug changes. We might add a bayonet CHT to our range but it's not there yet.

With all our instruments you choose everything else (in fact you don't even have to use our EGT/CHT stuff) and you then tell the instrument what you are using. Oil temp, pressure, fuel flow, level, etc etc.

We don't to "Engine packs" as there is no need for that. Get what suits your engine best and use it. Currently, there is little we cannot support and if we are aware of such an item, we will add it to the system if it makes sense (we just added PT100 temperature probes for example).

This is why we don't support particular engines. We support anything that makes a noise. Including turbine engines, Wankels, Diesels, two strokes, even Lycomings !

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I am also very excited about the Odyssey. But I still havent seen the Expected price in US Dollars?
I am ready to order if I can get a price.
Al Grajek
RV8

You might want to contact our U.S. distributors.
Ask Matt at [email protected]

Tip: Order early if you want one, we are in a race with a rapidly falling U.S. Dollar which is seriously squeezing the pips out of us !

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

about the view...

(I do work for MGL so don't take me too serious ;))

If you want to see the view, easy:
Use Google Earth, point to 34 degrees, 03 minutes, 47.1 seconds South,
18 degrees, 08 minutes, 85 seconds East.
Zoom into our house and premisses next to a small park, then put yourself in a 3D perspective view and look about east to south over the False bay coast and the Hotentots Holland mountain range (that is my view out of the window where I am typing this right now).
But once again (like the Odyssey screen): you need to see it in real life to get the full picture :p

Wish we could share it with more of you...

Cheers,

Question for Nicole

Yesterday a gent who is going to use a Bearhawk diesel in a Zenith 701 asked me after he saw my Enigma demo unit whether he needs two fuel flow sensors. He said that the unused fuel is returned to the tanks from the fuel pump so only having one sensor will show that it's using more fuel than in reality. Can a second flowmeter in the return line "subtract" that fuel from the total coming from the tanks? Some other way?

Thanks,

Yesterday a gent who is going to use a Bearhawk diesel in a Zenith 701 asked me after he saw my Enigma demo unit whether he needs two fuel flow sensors. He said that the unused fuel is returned to the tanks from the fuel pump so only having one sensor will show that it's using more fuel than in reality. Can a second flowmeter in the return line "subtract" that fuel from the total coming from the tanks? Some other way?

Thanks,

Tricky one.
If your engine has electronic injection then it's easy and cheap as you can connect the fuel flow input on the RDAC directly to the switched line of one of the injectors. On Enigma you then select "Injector H" or "Injector "L" depending if it is a high or low side fired injector (most are low side) and then you go through a bit of a calibration procedure where effectively you match up the integrated injector opening vs. closing times to actual fuel flow.
This works quite well and is a very cheap solution (cost of a wire).
BTW, injectors also tend to make good pickups for RPM...

Right, if you don't have injection, then you will need two fuel flow senders and usualy some patience calibrating the system.

The bad news (at least for the moment) is that Enigma does not support dual flow senders in differential mode (only as two independent fuel flows for twin engines etc). However, this request is on our famous "wish list" so it is just a matter of time until it is available, perhaps with the next update. I am thinking of missusing the existing Rotor speed input on the Enigma for the second flow sender so you don't need to purchase a second RDAC for the flow sender. Of course if you are flying a helicopter you will need to use the second RDAC.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Odyessy

I was on the N.A. waiting list for the Odyessy and got the call last night. Should be shipped by month end. The total cost for ALL options with ALL engine sensors was $4945 US. Not to shabby :)

I'll just chime in by saying 'gooie m?re' (hope i got that right) from Los Angeles and to say thanks for the loads of fun I've had with the Enigma simulator. I'm not anywhere near building the panel yet, other than sitting in the QB canoe and visualizing it, but after some time with the sim, I'm almost decided on the Odyssey. Of course, you might be a generation or two down the road before I'm ready to order one, so I'll keep following the progress and downloading the sim updates.

Yes, quite right,
but I'm not "Afrikaans", I hark from German heritage, born here in South Africa from German parents which died early so I grew up with relatives in Germany. Even though I left South Africa as a very small kid, I never forgot the blue sky that is so rare in Germany (I mean REAL blue sky), so when I was about 25 I packed my bag and headed to South Africa for a look and see. That was 1985, the last days of the old Apartheid era.
Well, I've been here ever since...

Odyssey simulator should be available in a week or two, You will like it, it's very similar to Enigma of course just way BIGGER.

The simulator is quite nice, it allows you to play with something that gets reasonably close to the real instrument without spending a cent.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I'll just chime in by saying 'gooie m?re' (hope i got that right) from Los Angeles and to say thanks for the loads of fun I've had with the Enigma simulator. I'm not anywhere near building the panel yet, other than sitting in the QB canoe and visualizing it, but after some time with the sim, I'm almost decided on the Odyssey. Of course, you might be a generation or two down the road before I'm ready to order one, so I'll keep following the progress and downloading the sim updates.

Simulator

Ranier,

I could never manage to get the Enigma simulator to do anything. The Doc leaves much to be desired. It would be nice if someone could put together a small 'cookbook' which one could use to put the simulator(s) through their paces.

I was able to make things happen by just opening the various sensors and moving sliders around. I don't think there's a provision for connecting the sim up to something like X-plane, but you can definitely see what the screen would look like under various flight conditions. It's not a flight sim (unless I'm doing it wrong), but it will simulate the instrument readings based on what it's getting from the sensors. You have to tell it what's going on, ie static and dynamic pressure will change the airspeed and altitude tapes, but setting a heading and ground speed on the GPS Sim will show you moving over the 3d terrain.

Enigma simulator

Hi Greg and John,

I could never manage to get the Enigma simulator to do anything. The Doc leaves much to be desired. It would be nice if someone could put together a small 'cookbook' which one could use to put the simulator(s) through their paces.
Have you had a look at the Enigma User Manual and the Enigma Alterations Guide?

I agree: it does not explain the simulator in great detail, but should get you 95% there since it describes the real Enigma in detail (and also screen designs)... The simulator works just like the real instrument - except that you need to switch on some simulated sensors, or run it in demo mode. (and simulate some disk management - which you will find in the alterations guide)

I was able to make things happen by just opening the various sensors and moving sliders around. I don't think there's a provision for connecting the sim up to something like X-plane, but you can definitely see what the screen would look like under various flight conditions. It's not a flight sim (unless I'm doing it wrong), but it will simulate the instrument readings based on what it's getting from the sensors. You have to tell it what's going on, ie static and dynamic pressure will change the airspeed and altitude tapes, but setting a heading and ground speed on the GPS Sim will show you moving over the 3d terrain.
100% John. Important to switch on the sensors. The Enigma simulator is not currently integrated with any flight simulator (like X-Plane or others). But we have toyed with the idea of creating an interface for a real Stratomaster instrument. In fact: we have used two flight sims during the development of some products (for initial testing).

Give me (or the Yahoo user group) a shout if you need a hand with the simulator.

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Odyssey will fit the affordable panels RV-9 panel? I'd likr to put an odyssey on th epilot side and possibly an enigma on the co-pilot side.