rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I put the Odyssey PC680 in two years ago while beginning the wiring of my bird. It has been used for little other than checking circuits. I use an external power supply while learning the Dynon HDX. So, why is the Odyssey dead, dead, dead and cannot be revived after so little use. Oh, my shop is climate controlled. So, no cold winters.

Very disappointed in this battery, unless there is something I did to cause this.

Any thoughts appreciated and any alternatives that are more reliable appreciated, as well.

This is the one I mentioned today. It gets charged by my Norco. I figure if it goes TU, it was cheap. If it survives, I'll use it.
Mighty Max Battery ML18-12GEL - 12 Volt 18 AH, GEL Type, Internal Thread (INT) Terminal, Rechargeable SLA AGM Battery https://a.co/d/8oIkYLh

I put the Odyssey PC680 in two years ago while beginning the wiring of my bird. It has been used for little other than checking circuits. I use an external power supply while learning the Dynon HDX. So, why is the Odyssey dead, dead, dead and cannot be revived after so little use. Oh, my shop is climate controlled. So, no cold winters.

Very disappointed in this battery, unless there is something I did to cause this.

Any thoughts appreciated and any alternatives that are more reliable appreciated, as well.
Batteries do not like sitting around and not being used. You probably should have used it more and occasionally charged it. You say it cannot be revive. How did you try to revive it? Traditional battery charger or one from Odyssey?
That being said, There are multiple threads here on the forum about recent issues with the Odyssey battery after for years been considered pretty reliable. I have used 4 Odyssey PC680s in my 20+ years, including the build, and have had very good luck. My current one has been in for 6 years and never put on a charger or battery tender. I fly once or twice a week all year round.
Obviously YLMV
(I am now going to the hangar to see if my plane will start as I probably just jinxed myself)

Last edited:
Definitely not the OPs issue, but I know the battery seems to get the bad rap often. I had what I thought was a failing 680 that was 6 years old. Obvious choice was replace it. After doing so, the plane started great for a few months before getting harder to start again. Turns out that the firewall starter solenoid had so many pits on the contact plate from arcing I constantly had a bad connection. For S&G, after replacing the solenoid, I put the old battery in and it started strong. I ended up buying a battery for no reason and I had a false sense of improvement because of the marginally higher CCA of a new battery.

I put my 680 battery on a maintainer for a few hours anytime I am doing my CI or other system maintenance. Outside of that, I fly almost weekly. Knocking on wood this battery will give me years of strong starting.

My airplane has been utilizing two PC 680s in parallel for a decade. I’ve only had one battery failure, and that was death by overcharging when it was six years old. I’m a big fan

I have a RV8 with an IO360-A1 B6. The battery is in the back. I initially started out using the PC680. I was replacing them every two years. When it was cold (below 40 F) it would just barely crank the engine. I switched to a Concord and solved the cold crank problems, but now had heavy weight battery causing CG concerns. Also, I still had to replace the battery every 4 years. I finally broke down and got an Earth X battery. The difference is like night and day....... the engine starts and runs better than ever no matter what the temperature is, and It is so light and small that it has practically no effect on the CG. Worth every penny in my opinion !

IMO Odyssey batteries are junk. Super expensive and not worth it. I went through two before seeing a reference on here for an APEX now sold through Battery Sharks. 12 volt 22 amp hour for $34.00. The Odyssey batteries even when new were VERY poor performers!!! The Battery I use now turns my prop over with GUSTO and lots of it. Been using the apex for 8 years or so. Just my experience. Only difference with these is I had to put a block in the bottom of the mounting tray. For some reason they will only drop in about 3/4 of the way before wedging tight. So it sticks up a little above the top of the tray.