laz

Well Known Member
I am looking for some help with my Odyssey battery installation on my RV8.

I loaned one of Van's battery boxes for the RV7 from a friend. Its would whorl ok but to install it on the 8 firewall makes removing the battery a big pain. I designed and built my own version of that box and the Vans Battery tray that comes with the kit. I need some help on the following items.

1. Is there any good reason that you need 6 AN3 bolts to attach the box to the firewall. Vans RV7 box has three? I just do not see the need for the middle bolt.

2. On several posts on this forum I see what appears to be some sort of plastic Insulator on the base of the Battery relay. There is never one on the starter relay because the base is the ground. No one at Van's seems to know about this, but I do see them on this forum pictures.

3. Both my contractors are mounted close together. Is there any reason I cannot use a short piece of bent copper bar to connect them. It is less the 2 inches apart and a wire would seem bulky?

Any help on these Items is appreciated. I would post a picture if I knew how

Vans box is fine.

Slice the front off , replace with piano hinge and if you need to remove, just pop the pins.

Battery slides out forwards.

On question #3, it's SOP to connect the two contractors with copper strip stock. Van's recommends two strips doubled up to handle that amperage. Use some heat shrink tubing to cover up the center portion.

And Q #2 - It is not a recommendation made by Van's in any plans, and I know of no good reason to isolate the master/battery relay from the airframe. The power for the pull-up coil is provided by the input stud (labeled Bat.), and the ground for the pull-up coil is supplied by activating the master switch.

Thanks for the answers. I will use the copper strips.

Wish I had thought of removing the battery box front. My solution took way to much time, but I was able to make one with flanges that line put with the structure behind the firewall. On the RV8 Vans box does not.

Thanks also on the answer about the battery relay.

I get a lot of help here. I live in an area of Ohio where no one seems to be building close buy so this really helps.