danielabernath

Well Known Member
I heard an a&p man at the Light Sport Mechanic Inspector classes advise on using the special type of battery maintainer (which Odyssey makes and sells).
I got one and it is over there in the box.
ISSUE: how does an RV 12 driver access to the battery to maintain the battery by connecting the Odyssey charger/maintainer?
I have visions of drilling holes directly above the posts and then plugging the holes with rubber plugs.
I also have visions of running wire to the center port used to pull out the piano wire and then reaching and grabbing the newly installed wires which connected to the posts.
I am sure other RV 12 drivers have thought about this and accomplished this goal.:)

Last edited:
Install a pigtail with a polarized connector that will let you plug in the charger as needed. One of mine came with the charger, the other is a cut down trailer wire plug from Kragen.

I have one for each battery ---------which are located behind the baggage bulkhead in the 10--------you should be able to make up something similar for the 12.

P4190049.jpg

Small Velcro tab holds it out of the way when not in use.

Last edited:
I can't remember the vendor or model (all my docs are at home), but I used a connector that was intended to plug in heated clothing on a motorcycle. It kind of looks like a miniature cigarette light jack. It works well.

I can't remember the vendor or model (all my docs are at home), but I used a connector that was intended to plug in heated clothing on a motorcycle. It kind of looks like a miniature cigarette light jack. It works well.

Powerlet? That's what I used...

Very simple. Just attach the pigtail connector that comes with the Ody charger to the battery and position the plug near the oil access door. Connect the charger via the open oil access door.

I heard an a&p man at the Light Sport Mechanic Inspector classes advise on using the special type of battery maintainer (which Odyssey makes and sells).
I got one and it is over there in the box.
ISSUE: how does an RV 12 driver access to the battery to maintain the battery by connecting the Odyssey charger/maintainer?
I have visions of drilling holes directly above the posts and then plugging the holes with rubber plugs.
I also have visions of running wire to the center port used to pull out the piano wire and then reaching and grabbing the newly installed wires which connected to the posts.
I am sure other RV 12 drivers have thought about this and accomplished this goal.:)

I believe this is in the box with your battery charger. If not then your friendly AutoParts store sells them. Install it directly on to your battery.
Lay it back against your firewall on top of the battery with the cap on when not in use. Simply reach into your oil access door and retrieve it
when you want to charge or maintain your battery when not flying for a long period of use. ;)
623e1ae56ee946d02c0de8628e52ecac_zpsmd2iwpgc.jpg

5a49e62fa7e05767e6fed19210e7f6a3_zpswxdcsexy.jpg

I have a 12V power receptacle like in cars on the panel. With a guarded switch I can connect it direct to the battery. This way I can charge the battery through it on ground or use it as a power outlet in flight.