jtdehaan

I have had an occasional problem with the start switch not doing anything. The first time about 6 weeks ago, the master switch did not respond also - no fuel pump. This morning, the master did come on, fuel pump on and EFIS display on, but the start switch did not do anything. After numerous tries, it finally started. I have no idea what causes this. My wife is not too keen about going with me with this condition - it may strand us somewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jake - RV-12 s/n 120025 with 400 hrs.

Sounds like it may be a loose connector at the back of the switch panel since the problem affects both master and start switches intermittently.

I was with a fellow RV12 owner who had a similar problem. The spar pin lock sensor was not working correctly and as a result, the starter was disengaged.
Turned out to be a connector that was loose.

Jake,
Can you hear the starter contactor click when turning the key to start?
Have you tried holding the "Override" button in when it will not start?
Is the battery fully charged?
Do hear a contactor chattering?
Does your plane have the D-180 or SkyView system?
Does everything else keep working when the start key is turned?
The more facts we have, the more we can help.
The circuit is simple: Fuse, small relay. key switch, starter contactor, ground.
Prime suspect is a bad connection. Next suspect is the small relay located on Van's control board. The Spar Override button will bypass the relay.

Steve,

Wouldn't a bad spar switch also trigger a spar warning light?

Rich

You are correct that if the sensor is faulty the red warning light should come on.
In this case, it wasn't immediately noticed, since it was in bright sunlight.