Geico266

Well Known Member
Somehow, I lost my Operating Limitations for my -3 which (as you all know) are required to be in the airplane for flight. I was really expecting a huge deal fighting the FAA to get a copy, ect, ect, ect. :mad:

I found a place to order all of the info for $10 on line! So simple even a caveman could do it! (Sorry to all cavemen!) So I ordered duplicate paperwork of all the records for my plane (or any plane) from the FAA and it was here in 2-3 days!

http://162.58.35.241/e.gov/ND/airrecordsND.asp

I just thought someone here might want that ordering info. I have very complete records now! Very cool to see ALL of the records on an airplane, especially if it has been bought and sold a few times. You get ALL of the records! Applications, Operating Limitations, Phase 1 & Phase 2, any major mods (that have been done legally). Ect. Pretty cool! Certainly worth $10!

Now if I get ramped checked I'll just hand the FAA inspector the CD! No where in the regs does it say what form the Operating Limitations need to be in! ;)

Last edited:
Now if I get ramped checked I'll just hand the FAA inspector the CD! No where in the regs does it say what form the Operating Limitations need to be in! ;)

Good information on how to get the information. It's really pretty simple.

However the operating limitations do say that they must be carried in the aircraft at all times for availability to the PIC. I don't think a CD would qualify as having the information available to the PIC.
My interpretation and I expect the FAA's as well would require a "hard copy" of the Operating Limitations be in the aircraft.

I am assuming you are joking around...some where it does say they must be available to the (any) pilot of the aircraft (can't remember where, it might be in the operating limitations:D)

I would imagine the FAA's interpretation of available would be that you must be able to read them without having to have brought a computer with you for the flight.

Looks like Mel beat me by one minute................Fastest enter key this side of Texas

Last edited:
Ha Ha Scott....

I beat you by Just by THIS much!

Great minds think alike.

Last edited:
Another related question...

Would it be legal to carry COPIES of the Airworthiness Certificate, Registration , and Operating Limitations? Or must the original documents be carried? Carrying copies would allow for safe keeping of the originals elsewhere. Thanks

However the operating limitations do say that they must be carried in the aircraft at all times for availability to the PIC. I don't think a CD would qualify as having the information available to the PIC.
My interpretation and I expect the FAA's as well would require a "hard copy" of the Operating Limitations be in the aircraft.

I am assuming you are joking around...some where it does say they must be available to the (any) pilot of the aircraft (can't remember where, it might be in the operating limitations:D)

I would imagine the FAA's interpretation of available would be that you must be able to read them without having to have brought a computer with you for the flight.

I'm just goofing around, but regs say it must be "available", not nessessarily "readable". It is an interesting oversite on the FAA's part. Says nothing about being in "printed" or "useable format". It would be a defendable position,... all be it a weak one! :D

I'm just glad to have the records in the plane so I can fly legally, and yes, I printed them out.

I hope others can use this method of ordering them also. I was amazed at the detail of the records, and how fast they got here.

Last edited:
That's a great resource, thanks for the link...

Sure beats the runaround I got when I "misplaced" my Op limits. After sending the local fisdo a note I finally got a call about 2 weeks later and was told I have to meet them in their office by appointment only. Would have required I take a day off work as appts are only available on certain days of the week and during certain hours which are of course in the middle of the day :eek:

Sure beats the runaround I got when I "misplaced" my Op limits. After sending the local FSDO a note I finally got a call about 2 weeks later and was told I have to meet them in their office by appointment only. Would have required I take a day off work as appts are only available on certain days of the week and during certain hours which are of course in the middle of the day :eek:
If you had a DAR do the original certification, you could contact him. Most all DARs keep records of all aircraft that they inspect and can supply that information. FSDOs don't typically keep that information.

In my case the local fisdo did the inspection. I will say the inspection with the local guys went very smoothly, the guys at the FortWorth fsdo were super friendly, very helpful and they went out of their way to accomodate my inspection schedule.

This is one of the good things about using a DAR, he's always there for info and to help you out when the small issues come up which is where the fisdo can lack.