CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
In my new Lycoming YIO-540 there was a Service Instruction (No 1472) called "Removal of Preservative Oil From Engine". It was throwing me as it talks about removing the preservative oil PRIOR to installation and I thought the oil stayed until the first 25 hours were up.

Now when I go look at the Service Instructions page, this one is not listed (http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-instructions/index.html). Does that mean it is no longer applicable?

It also conflicts with Service Instruction 1014M "Lubricating Oil Recommendations" which is 1 year newer. It says "...This preservative oil must be removed at (sic) end of the first 25 hours of operation". (http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1014M.pdf)

What is the deal with the preservative oil and the initial 25 hours? Drain and replace with the recommended Mineral Oil, or use the first 25 and then change to mineral?

Last edited:
The preservative oil is in the engine for corrosion prevention durring storage. It will have to be drained and the aplicable engine oil type and amount will have to be added for running the engine. The type oil you use will depend on weather or not you need a break in. And there are many different schools of thought on that.
Ryan

That preservation oil is everywhere. Do not turn the prop until you get it out, the cylinders may be full of it and you can damage the engine. Pull all lower plugs and then turn the prop to get it out.

So weird, Service Instruction 1014M says the preservation oil can be used for the first 25 hours. I just called Lycoming and left a message to ask about this conflict between their bulletins.

Depends on oil

Depends on which preservative oil is used. Think of it this way..you may run the preservative oil up to 25 hours but you must use mineral oil for break in for the first 50 hrs. Aeroshell 2F preservative oil may be used up to 50 hrs over the time to TBO. In other words over 2000 hrs not more than 50 of them can be on preservative oil. This allows for recurring seasonal engine preservation for storage over winter.

My recomendation is to drain the preservative oil prior to first run, and break in the engine on Phillips 20W50 M mineral oil. After break in I prefer Aeroshell 15W50 synthetic blend, however I have also seen good results with Phillips 20W50 XC. The exceptions are turbocharged engines & engines with ECI cylinders, pistons, & rings which should both be broken in on Phillips 20W50 XC. Good luck, Russ

I spoke with Lycoming and they cleared up the wording. The wording in 1014M that says you can use the preservative oil pertains only to AFTER-LYCOMING manufacturers such as Cessna or someone else that has put their own preservative oil in. The oil from Lycoming MUST be removed before first use as described in 1472.