HIIFLY

Well Known Member
As I look through the various F/S Aircraft sites at all the different types of planes For Sale with Loaded and Not so Loaded instrument panel , from B24 bombers to Ultralights , there is usually some kind of Handheld GPS stuck somewhere on the Panel ! Even amongst the Expensive Stuff their is one lurking in a corner !
This just an Observation on the acceptance the Handheld GPS as a VFR navigation tool . Affordable and reliable . :rolleyes:

It also shows how much credence pilots give to the dictum that you shouldn't use non TSO'd gear.

Well, there's a good reason for that prevalence. Used properly, even a basic VFR moving-map GPS offers far superior situational awareness and performance information (ground speed, winds aloft, etc.) at a fraction of the pilot's time and mental effort. There's no longer a need to waste your time by futzing with a stopwatch and an E6B trying to figure course correction angle and groundspeed; now you read them off, sanity check them, and get on with actually flying the airplane instead of playing human calculator. Anecdotal evidence from multiple sources attributes a significant reduction in CFIT accidents to the widespread adoption of GPS. I'd also guess that there are probably fewer lost airplanes and fewer airspace incursions.

Now, there are valid concerns about GPS dependency, especially related to user competency and failure conditions. That is, what do we do about pilots who don't know how to work the device, and what do pilots do when the GPS decides not to work? The response to these questions from a large part of the pilot population (and the CFI/CFII subset) has been to avoid the topic altogether--to pretend that GPS doesn't exist, to ignore it during training, to continue teaching navigation with the same methods used 25 years ago as if they were the only way to ever navigate. I think the unstated belief is that, once the student is done with training, he or she will continue to fly that way forever, and never be vulnerable to GPS failures because they'll either never use one, or will only be using it as a backup to their trusty E6B and stopwatch.

Unfortunately, that's not how things actually work out. What's much more likely is that the new pilot finishes training, gets hold of a GPS, and realizes how much easier and simpler it is to use. They immediately start using it for all VFR navigation, the now-expired paper sectional gets tucked away in the bottom of the flight bag to cushion the GPS or the headset, and the E6B slowly corrodes in a drawer. Now, I know some of you are thinking at this point "well, what happens if the GPS fails, huh? What then?"

This is why I believe that flight training needs to start catching up and coming to grips with the fact that GPS is now almost universal in light aviation. Instead of pretending that GPS doesn't exist and trying to dissuade pilots from using it, flight training ought to be teaching pilots how to use GPS appropriately. That means ensuring that the pilots are proficient with the system (know how to use it, what it can do, and what it will do after any given input), teaching pilots to use and monitor it responsibly (cross-check what it shows with what you see out the window, see whether the numbers make sense, fly the airplane first before fiddling with the GPS, know which direction and how far to a diversion airport, etc.), and teaching them what to do when the GPS fails.

This doesn't mean dropping traditional navigation entirely; it can (and should) be taught to some degree. But I think the hours I spent during my training trying to beat the E6B into submission and measuring lines on a sectional could have been put to far better use. Personally, I'd like to see less emphasis on enroute hand calculations paper navigation and more emphasis on AOA awareness and aeronautical decision-making, because those are the things getting people killed, not forgetting how to use a paper chart.

Another data point: If my alternator/electrical systems fails, my batteries in my (very old) Garmin 196 will give me approx 10 hrs of run time. :)

Isn't the ability to use non TSOd gear the reason we built our AB aircraft? This is the reason we are mandated to have the passenger warning placard on our instrument panels "THIS AIRCRAFT IS AMATEUR-BUILT AND DOES NOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD AIRCRAFT "

The Icom IC-A200 panel mounted comm radio that I use isn't even TSOd.

Transponders and IFR GPS still require TSOs in experimental aircraft. Other than that, you're right--but a big chunk of the FAA still holds that TSOs and certification are the only way for something to be "safe". It's the same mentality that says you're only covered for getting a preflight brief if you use a telephone and call a briefer.

As far as the discussion rmatingt was talking about an E6B, what is that?:D. I completed my flight training back in 1991 and I have never owned and I don't think ever held an E6B. I have always owned a basic one line display electronic calculator for this purpose and I don't think I am lacking in any training. In addition, I don't even know where that calculator is at now days with the use an Ipad with Foreflight.

I did my training in 2001-2002 and I had to buy one. Didn't matter that I had a graphing caluclator into which I'd programmed every conceivable E6B function and more besides; I wasn't allowed to use said calculator. We did everything on a paper chart with the E6B and a ruler, calculating enroute times, fuel burn, and wind correction every 8-12 miles. One of the flight school's airplanes had a text-only, direct-to-only GPS; I wasn't allowed to use it. It sucked. And probably at least half of my training time was spent buzzing around navigating on paper or planning flights on paper--time which could have been better spent on other things.

Then, we finished Dad's -6 and he put a 196 in it. I never looked at a paper sectional again. Don't even know where to buy one. Now he has a Skyview and the 196 mounted in the airplane, and we both have tablets or smartphones with navigation apps. My -7 will have an EFIS and a tablet. Now, instead of cross-country VFR flying being a high-stress, constantly-busy, heads-down juggling act, we spend a lot more time eyes out of the cockpit with far better situational awareness (navigationally and meteorologically).

I bet I could still navigate with paper only. But it would be really ugly, and not something I'd want to do for more than an hour or so. I can't even imagine trying to do it all the way from, say, Atlanta to Oshkosh.

Well...chart.

My thoughts almost exactly.

While you can't (or at least aren't supposed to) file /G with just a handheld GPS, the prevalence in both experimental and certified aircraft shows that it is a great insurance policy in the case that the certified unit goes out or in the case of loss of contact with the ground, rendering a map fairly useless, etc. I used to take one with me in any plane I flew, no matter where I was going. Now I carry two, one my iPad and one my iPhone, both with Foreflight installed.

Another data point: If my alternator/electrical systems fails, my batteries in my (very old) Garmin 196 will give me approx 10 hrs of run time. :)
My 10 yr old 196 is bullet proof (to date). Never once locked up or failed to start. Talks to my Dynon EFIS. By far, the best value of any item I've installed in the plane.

I bet I could still navigate with paper only. But it would be really ugly, and not something I'd want to do for more than an hour or so. I can't even imagine trying to do it all the way from, say, Atlanta to Oshkosh.

I suspect most of us are guilty of electron dependence. Now it's GPS, but before that it was RNAV VOR, Loran, ADF, etc. Nothing new.

Back in the 90's, not long after I got a freshly restored L-4 flying, a senior aviator gave me a genuine 1943 Army Air Corps issue whiz wheel, brand new, still in the original box. I resolved to fly to Sun'nFun using the wheel, a map, my watch, and a wet compass. Even went NORDO. It was fun, and surprisingly accurate. I doubt you would have any difficulty at all. Probably add some interest to your next trip.

2niskjq.jpg

Last edited:
Paper chart

Doesn't anyone find it fun to follow along with a paper chart? I enjoy seeing landmarks then locating them on the chart. It's a fun game for the cockpit.

The traditional pencil line on a traditional chart allows us to cross-check to ensure both the airplane and the GPS are going where we think they are going.

On my first night VFR dual cross-country I discovered I'd been distracted and had drawn the line on the chart to the wrong destination airport. I had programmed the GPS correctly. After only a minute or two I realized the nose of the airplane was not pointed in the same direction as the line on the chart. Much confusion ensued but I kept flying the magenta line on the GPS. Once I figured out my error on the chart I once again KNEW with CERTAINTY that I was headed in the right direction and kept track of progress with my finger on the chart (where that danged pencil line was supposed to have been!).

This cross-checking between navigation info sources is incredibly helpful. We like to fly with a backup to our primary attitude indication - so why not a back up to our primary nav indication to provide that same degree of redundancy and situational awareness?

Besides, I've always loved the act of drawing a line on a chart. I still find it exciting, the first step in an adventure!

Transponders and IFR GPS still require TSOs in experimental aircraft.

Technically, the transponder and GPS must "meet the requirements of the TSO". It's theoretically legal for you as the builder to install something for which you have data showing it meets all the TSO requirements, but has not officially been granted a TSO.

Now, if you have all the data showing it meets the TSO, actually getting one is pretty trivial. Hence, no experimental transponders or GPS units that "meet" but haven't received a TSO.

Semantics, I know, but an interesting fact when hangar flying.

I don't know what rules applu in USA, but in Australia we are illegal if we don't have a current chart. We are also not allowed to use a non TSO GPS for primary navigation.
I use a Garmin 196 but also the chart. The 196 allows me to give a much more accurate position to anyone else so I find it a great safetyu aid. I have had it fail a couple of times, both when I knew exactly where I was and where I was going and the 196 was telling me to go of course by about 45 degrees. When I ignored it for a while it gave up and agreed with me. So they are a great help, but not infallible.