cjensen

Well Known Member
Is Tefzel required/recommended for the OAT wire run, or can I just use 7 strand for this?

Tefzel for everything else, but seems overkill for the OAT...

Thoughts?

Since the OAT is a sense wire and won't be carrying any measurable current it seems like it wouldn't matter. But if,like me, you already have miles of the tefzel (22awg is plenty) why not just stick with the same you've used everywhere. If this wire is running in a bundle of wires, and something else in that bundle cooks, your hardware store wire could become a smelly/smokey problem.

Scott

bottom line. hardware store wire has NO place in an aircraft, period.

bob burns
N82RB

I have an OVER abundance of 20AWG...the wire coming from the EFIS is more like 24AWG...the OAT probe is 24AWG...can I splice it with 20? This would work best since I have so much of it, and it's not a current carrying wire.

That okay?:confused:

I have an OVER abundance of 20AWG...the wire coming from the EFIS is more like 24AWG...the OAT probe is 24AWG...can I splice it with 20? This would work best since I have so much of it, and it's not a current carrying wire.

That okay?:confused:
Current carrying or not, you can always use a larger wire, Chad. You should just never go to a smaller wire. I would use your 20AWG if you don't have 22. I never use smaller than 22 just because anything smaller is a pain to work with. For the amount of wiring most of our planes have in them, the extra weight is negligible, plus you have the ability to carry more load on the wires in the future should you need to upgrade.