rwarre

Well Known Member
For those using MGL panels, where is a good place to install the OAT probe? I am considering drilling a hole in the side of the fuselage and using that location. Thanks

We just bought their ALT-1 unit and are wondering the same thing. If you search the subject you?ll get some ideas.

If I understand correctly, the probe shouldn?t be subjected to sunlight, so the side of the fuselage might not be the best place. The under wing access panel is where I?m tentatively planning to mount it if I can get the wiring out to it. But I?m open to any other suggestions?

oat

In the past I tried several locations between the firewall and F4 and always got a reading that seemed a little high. I think this was from the heat from the cowl. I think the heat would adhere to the fuselage for a ways and affect the probe. After this I ran the sensor and probe to flap brace 621 and used tie wraps to secure to the lightning holes. I went about half way out to be sure I was far enough from the heat. So far this approach has worked quite well.

Steve

Dynon suggests under the tail - or near the pitot probe under the wing.

Away from, engine, cabin, exhaust and sun heat input.

Jim Sharkey

After enduring hopelessly inaccurate readings in its original location deep inside the NACA vent, I relocated the OAT probe. Out of direct sunlight and posing little risk as an obstruction, this has proved to be a far more efficient location. Its wiring has a service loop so the access cover can be dropped well out of the way for inspection purposes.

19tse8.jpg

Here's another good idea...

Sitting on the ground it reads high but once you start moving, enough fresh air gets to it that is accurate. One advantage to this location is you don't have to worry about someone knocking it off.

A good idea would be to install the probe in one of your wing inspection panels. Just make sure to leave enough service loop so that you can drop the panel for inspection or if you need to get in there to do something.

Not only are you out of the way of possible error reading from heat around the fuse, but if at any time you decide to upgrade a system and you need to remove the probe, you don't have a hole you need to fill. Just replace the panel and good to go.

I have seen a lot of Cessna 210s come thru my shop that put the OAT probe on the passenger side right below the windshield. And then the customer complains of bad readings. You can get a big difference in readings depending on where you put the probe.