frankh

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Can someone tell me the path the oil takes...I.e is it..

1) pump-oil cooler-filter-engine. Or

2) Pump- filter- oil cooler- engine?

I had to weld up a special oil cooler fitting and I'm wondering how particular I have to be to clean the inside...If its before the filter it doesn't matter much.

Thanks

Frank

Pump-oil cooler-filter-engine

frankh said:
Hi all,

Can someone tell me the path the oil takes...I.e is it..

1) pump-oil cooler-filter-engine. Or

2) Pump- filter- oil cooler- engine?

I had to weld up a special oil cooler fitting and I'm wondering how particular I have to be to clean the inside...If its before the filter it doesn't matter much.

Thanks

Frank

How much actually goes to the oil cooler depends on the what the vernatherm valve is doing. It's supposed to close at 85 degrees C, sending all the oil through the cooler. Otherwise the oil will go straight from the pump to the filter, then the engine.

Mark

Regardless of the oil path, please don't skimp on the clean-up. Don't depend on the filter.

Understood

Fitting is clean but it is also angled thru about 60 degrees so hard to see much of the inside....If it was before the filter it was more pace of mind than anything else.

Cheers

Frank

The oil that would go through the center fitting on the accessory housing, would be hot and thus then go to the cooler and then through the fitting on the upper left hand part of the accessory case back into the engine and then into the filter and then to the rest of the engine.
Cold oil will allow a small amount of oil flow through the same path.
If the oil is really cold and thick, on initial start, it wouldn't be uncommon for the oil to bypass the filter, either entirely or partially. So, don't rely to hard on the filter, stuff can get past it under the right circumstances.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."