The Vne is a factor of the airframe, and is fixed.

However, how much faster than Vne you can go is related to engine size :eek:

The Vne is a factor of the airframe, and is fixed.

However, how much faster than Vne you can go is related to engine size :eek:

Dave ,

Thanks for the reply.
I'll be more specific:
I aware of V-N envelopes and I have one for the RV9
I would like to know if anyone in the RV community has placed a 180HP engine in his/her 9 or 9A with a sensenich fixed prop.
If so, what are you cruise true speed numbers up to 75% power at 8000 ft.

I know several people have put an (I)O-360 with a CS prop in a 9 or 9A, but I don't recall seeing one with a FP prop. You are paying a pretty decent effeciency penalty with a FP prop across the wide speed range of the RV family. You can optimize the FP for high speed cruise, but the CS will get you the best of both worlds, at the detriment of your wallet.

NO! Not another FP vs CS thread!

We have beat that horse into the ground. I'm guessing we must enjoy it.

I suspect the poster would like to know if a 180 HP RV-9 can bump up against the VNE.

Any answers out there? I know I can't get close with all of my 135 horses.

Last edited:
Dave, db1yg is on these forums and flies an RV-9A with a Catto fixed pitch and IO-360. He has posted some about the combination and seems very happy with it.

DSC01199.JPG

I expect he will show up and tell you what he thinks.

RV9A with an O-360, f/p Sensenich 83" cruise prop.

Yes, I fly an RV9A with an O-360, f/p Sensenich 83" cruise prop. Today we flew from KTUS to KFUL (375 miles) @ 8500, 60-64% power, 2480 rpm, 144 kts true, 7.2 gal per hour. I run at PK or just into LOP according to the Dynon 180.

The O-360 we built has 7.2 compression pistons and I burn ethanol free auto gas. Superior said this combo delivers 168-172 hp.

Dave ,

Thanks for the reply.
I'll be more specific:
I aware of V-N envelopes and I have one for the RV9
I would like to know if anyone in the RV community has placed a 180HP engine in his/her 9 or 9A with a sensenich fixed prop.
If so, what are you cruise true speed numbers up to 75% power at 8000 ft.

The recommended 160 HP limit for an RV-9 isn't because of the airplanes VNE.
It is because of the VNO speed (max structural cruise, which is the start of the yellow arc range).
For safety, an RV should not be flying/cruising at an IAS within the yellow arc range. With more than 160 HP this is quite easy to do.

O-360+FP+RV-9A

I have one, N65XX, at 4SD. O-360-A4M with 8.5 pistons and std mags mated to a Sensenich 72 x 83 prop. At 8000', 2450 RPM, 9 gal/hr, D180 says 63% ROP indicates 155 Kts. Is this the info you wanted or the other posts. Dan.