Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I know the A4K has a horizontal carb at the rear of the engine, which won't work for the RV-8. Has anyone been able to modify the A4K so that it can, or is it just a design trait that can't be corrected?

Thanks

You could put a forward-facing sump on it, probably, but there are other factors you might want to check out, such as mount type, or whether the prop governor is up front or in back.

As I'm finding out, making a weird engine (O-360-F1A6) fit can be done, it's just some extra work.

You can put an IO-360-M1B sump and pipes on it or an O-360-A1A sump and pipes on it and convert it to what you want. Of course you will need to get a fuel system or carburetor as well. Changing it over is very easy to do, nothing complicated.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

O-360-A4K

Just to echo the guys above, it can be done. I have an -A4K engine that has been converted to an -A4M. Dan

sump

Some of these sumps have an undrilled pad on the front. These can be converted to front mount by cutting an access hole in the bottom of the sump and welding in a connecting tube to the front. Then the front pad needs to be machined. There is at least one engine shop that does this, I have no idea which one. Probably not practical if you can find the proper sump used, but considering the cost of a new sump this might be the way to go. The used front mount sumps are out there it may take a while to find one.

Some Thorp T-18's use the rear sump configuration for a smooth bottom cowl.
If you change sumps, you might be able to sell the old one.

o360 A1K

Hello

Find an engine zero time A1K but
He put a injected cold induction sistem
I heard yhe engine is not suitable gor RV s
Due to carburetor rear position but with mod
I think it is solved am I right?

Converted A4K to A4M

Hi, How did you solve the prop flange bolt problem. It's a solid crank
of A1A origin but the prop (Sensenich), I don't think fits it. Have a friend here
that has an A4K crank(bent) and is trying to compare it with others of
the same ilk. I have a A4M crank and it's not the same...help