Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I am looking at an O360 parallel valve engine that was a kit and built by a builder after attending the Manufactuerer school. I think an EAGLE kit engine. It has 6 hours since new but has not been started in two years. The engine is attached to the airframe stored in a hangar in what would be considered a semi dry climate.

Just wondering a what concerns we should have such as corrosion.

Corrosion

You must have missed the thread running the last few days. Put "Dormant" in search box and read all posts. Lots of good info.

Don Broussard

RV 9 rebuild in progress

I saw it but I was curious what others thought of a new engine that had 6 hours on it and had only been two years. I know guys who have them sitting in their hangars fir at least that long while they build.

You must have missed the thread running the last few days. Put "Dormant" in search box and read all posts. Lots of good info.

Don Broussard

RV 9 rebuild in progress

I saw it but I was curious what others thought of a new engine that had 6 hours on it and had only been two years. I know guys who have them sitting in their hangars fir at least that long while they build.

It's still the same issues but to a much lesser degree. I like the marvel mystery oil approach for the first '"dry" startup. I would boroscope the cylinders, change the oil and go fly. Monitor with oil analysis and more frequent compression checks the first year or two

Don B

Last edited:
I'm really not qualified to make an engine assessment, but as a buyer of a plane, another wildcard to me is the builder. Since it is low-time, I would want to discount the engine for that as well as the storage.:) But maybe you have been able to rule that out as a negative.