Shine'r

Anybody else out there messing around with one of these? I put the crankshaft retrofit kit into my O320B3B and have about 6 hours on it now (Don't ask I don't have a lot of numbers yet) and was just wondering who else is doing what? :)
Shine'r (Sunny, Warm, Clear Air, Pittsburgh, Pa.) :)

I am putting an ECI IO-340 with the cold air induction fuel injection in my RV9A. I am working on the fuel tank return lines now and close to sealing the tanks. I am getting ready to order the finish kit from Vans and then the engine from Americas Aircraft Engines. I am excited about this engine and how it will perform in the 9. I also would like to hear about any performance info on this engine on any of the RV's.

I am thinking about this as an option when I get to engine, but that is a ways off yet. Cheap IO-320 propstrike core, 340 crank, keep the bendix FI, add purge valve and fly...

I may have to change the prop to get full potential from the extra power. The RPM on take off and WOT has increased by 100 over the stock O320 with the prop combo I now have. When I got the Sensenich I had it cut as a cruise prop (wood FP) because I knew I was planning on getting the O340 crank. With the 6 hours on the engine I can easily now get the 2700 WOT RPM. I'll let you know how it goes.
Shine'r (Sunny,Warm,Clear Air, Pittsburgh, Pa.)

I am glad to hear from someone flying this engine. Sorry I cannot provide data yet as I am still building. I am anxious to hear any data you gather though. Thanks for the input. I will look forward to hearing how the engine is performing.

By the way, Shiner, which RV are you flying?

RVbySDI said:
I am putting an ECI IO-340 with the cold air induction fuel injection in my RV9A. I am working on the fuel tank return lines now and close to sealing the tanks. I am getting ready to order the finish kit from Vans and then the engine from Americas Aircraft Engines. I am excited about this engine and how it will perform in the 9. I also would like to hear about any performance info on this engine on any of the RV's.
I was going to ask why you were using the EC-340 on a -9, but I think one of the reasons is that ECI recommends the use of the Hartzell C2YK-1BF/F7666 Blended Airfoil prop with that engine. Another would be to have better high altitude performance, but I'm sure you know Van does not recommend > 160Hp on the -9.

the_other_dougreeves said:
I was going to ask why you were using the EC-340 on a -9, but I think one of the reasons is that ECI recommends the use of the Hartzell C2YK-1BF/F7666 Blended Airfoil prop with that engine. Another would be to have better high altitude performance, but I'm sure you know Van does not recommend > 160Hp on the -9.
Yes, I am aware of Van's stance on the HP on -9's. You are correct in assuming that I am planning to fly in and out of some high altitude mountain airports in the summer. One I am interested in sits at 8000' in a mountain valley between two ranges that both have 14,000' peaks on either side.

In addition I have a further goal of setting up cruise at 55% - 65% and leaning this engine. I am hopeful I can lean to a very good fuel burn while maintaining a good speed.

I have read all that is out there concerning Vne speed, flutter, and the various other concerns that have been posted concerning over speeding airframes. I have also read all of Van's writings on the subject. I will use every bit of brain power in my head to assure that I do not abuse this increase in power to the point where I will destroy either my airplane or myself.

I think the weight of a 320 combined with the HP output of a 360 should be a great combination for this airplane. Granted there could be potential for bozos to get a hold of this combination and proceed to kill themselves and/or others but I do not consider myself a bozo and will plan diligently to do whatever it takes to keep from killing myself with this wonderful machine.

Live long and prosper! :D

the_other_dougreeves said:
THe F7666 blades aren't the blended airfoil... 7496 or 7497 are.

If you are planning on buying insurance call the agent and ask what happens when you have a non-Vans approved engine/airframe combo. I was looking at an angle valved -4 (200hp), then found out. Instead I bought a 180 hp -4.

If your not planning on insurance.... go for it. Bigger engine=Bigger grin. :p