Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
RV8 first flight
Jeff Reins's RV8 flew this evening! He used a ECI. O-340 Stroker rated at 177hp.
I was the pilot. I am impressed with this engine in Jeff's RV8!!! He has A Hartzell prop. The airplane weighed in at 1047.

Jay,
Please tell Jeff Rein's I said congratulations! I purchased his RV-7 empennage section a couple of years ago.

Thank you,
Jeff Shaud

You once told me that a light O-320 powered -8 flew as nice as a -4. I would think that an IO-340 powered -8 would be a good compromise between light handling and gobs of power.

RV8 first flight
Jeff Reins's RV8 flew this evening! He used a ECI. O-340 Stroker rated at 177hp.
I was the pilot. I am impressed with this engine in Jeff's RV8!!! He has A Hartzell prop. The airplane weighed in at 1047.

Jay,

Which Hartzell prop is he using????????

Thanks!

James

Lite weight 8

James, and Bill,

I only have 15 minutes on this engine prop combination? The plane excelaration was extra! !!! With 20 gallons of gas.
The prop is a Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BF
Jeff's RV8 has a standard 'heavy' tail wheel. It has the steel standard gear.
I would like to try building a light weight RV8 with Grove Aluninium gear, with Dayton's tail wheel, and a Cato Prop, and the Cubcrafters light weight O-340 sump / engine.

In 1999 I finished a RV8 with O-320 and a wood prop, 1046 pounds,,, the handeling was supper nice. But climb performance was so,so,,,Jeff's airplane,,,, first impressions,,,, are Great! Very similar to my old 8 except better ! With the extra horse power.

Lighter RVs are more fun!

Last edited:
James, and Bill,
I would like to try building a light weight RV8 with Grove Aluninium gear, with Dayton's tail wheel, and a Cato Prop, and the Cubcrafters light weight O-340 sump / engine.
Lighter RVs are more fun!

Don't forget the CubCrafter's O-340 is rated at 80 hp continuous.

Last edited:
Don't forget the CubCrafter's O-340 is rated at 80 hp continuous.

So is the Titan 0-340. Are you saying it can not be run above 80 HP continuous in an experimental non-LSA aircraft?

Their engine is only rated that way for the Light Sport Rule. It is a 180 hp engine and if you build the plane as an experimental, place the throttle where you want and for however long you want. You can fly at 45% all day too. Their 340 would be great on any RV.

So is the Titan 0-340. Are you saying it can not be run above 80 HP continuous in an experimental non-LSA aircraft?

No; I was being facetious! Simply yanking Jay's chain.

You can exceed manufacturer's limits all you want in an experimental amateur-built aircraft.

Here's another IO-340 that flew for the first time last week. Fastback RV-3? Maybe. Or maybe not :)

Tony

elbm1y.jpg

Their engine is only rated that way for the Light Sport Rule. It is a 180 hp engine and if you build the plane as an experimental, place the throttle where you want and for however long you want. You can fly at 45% all day too. Their 340 would be great on any RV.
Flies great on mine!