trib

Well Known Member
:confused: Help with specifics for O320 H2AD

I'm looking at an o320 E2A that's offered for sale and I can't find the info for specifics as to engine mount type and location of carb. These are the items I understand are decision makers for whether the engine can be used for the RV-6A. Anyone know if this engine will work and the mount (mine is dynafocal I) and carb type/location. Any direction on how to determine this would be appreciated. I looked at the type certificate data sheet (similar to what's included with the RV construction manual) but could not figure out this info.

thanks for the help

Tim Ribble

Tim:

According to the reference material about Lycs that is included in Van's preview plans, the E2A has a dyafocal I mount, so you are in business in that regard.

The reference also states that the -E2D, which is what I have in my 6A, is similar to the E2A but with slick mags, O-235 front main bearing and 7/16" prop flange bushings. The -E2A has 3/8" prop bolts and bendix mags.

From what I can tell in the reference the sump on the E2A has a straight riser.

Sounds like it is alot like an E2D. If that is the case, you should be able to use it in a 6A.

One other thing that you want to determine is if it has a fuel pump.

Again, this is all gleaned from the reference material as supplied by Vans.

Hope this helps. Check your Instructions from Vans to check my references.

Regards,

And if it doesn't have a fuel pump

...Some of us use two electric pumps...In fact just about all of the automotive guys use twin electrics. Works just fine

Frank
IO360 2* electric pumps

0-320 E2A for RV6A

Tim...

I have an 0-320-E2A in an RV6 with 155 hrs of flight time and it installed easily with no modifications. I can only assume the 6A would accept it as well but I would email Van's Support just to make sure. Mine is converted to 160 hp and I bought it already rebuilt from storm damage. The RV6 is light with an empty weight of 1033 including oil and the combination flies very well with a 79 pitch Sensenich prop. I am currantly removing that prop and have a Hartzell C/S going on. I don't know what effect this will have on performance as the FP is very efficient in cruise but I expect better takeoff and climb. Most E2A's have a solid crank but Lycoming sometimes installs any thing that will fit during assembly if they are short on stock so I lucked out with a hollow crank. Most E2A's are not that way so you have to remove the crank plug and look to know. If you found a good deal on one, I suggest you buy it even though you may get some comments on being underpowered. IMHO there are no underpowered RV's, only overweight RV's that will still out perform any Kansas spam can around and will only be a couple knots slower than the 180 C/S RV's. You actually have to fly formation to notice the difference. Good Luck!

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
Northfield, MN

The O-320-E2A is essentially the low compression 150 HP version of the O-320-D2A that Vans sells. The E2A is normally setup for fixed pitch in its stock version but can be fitted for constant speed operation. It normally doesn't come equipped with a governor drive, just a spot to mount it. So there shouldn't be any problem with it's fit, if an O-320-D2A will fit.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

Thanks for the reply. I'm at the point where I need the engine soon, basically I'm working on fairings and final assembly items from the finishing kit. I haven't seen a concise listing of what are the determining factors for engines and have been just gleaning what I can from past threads. I sincerely appreciate the willingness to reply and give advice.

A couple of more questions for you kind people. If I decide to get the E2A, what effort/expense would be involved if I decide to in the future upgrade it to 160 hp? There's also an IO 360 B1B listed in the classifieds that I was looking at for considerably more $, but seems like a reasonable amount. Is there any advice on that model? Of course the cowling I have is for a caburated version, and it's the newer prefab version with the scoop installed, so that may require modifications also.

0-320-E2A

Trib
I've been following this thread cause I also have an E2A. I have found there is a lot more info in the archives on VAF and Lycoming forums for the E2D. Search for Lycoming 0-320-E2D for info on 160 hp upgrade. From what I understand our E2A's may be better suited for the 160 hp upgrade due to our larger front main bearing. As opposed to the E2D which has an 0-235 front main bearing. My question is with the higher compression pistons and the plain soft steel cylinders - many have done this and I would love to know how much time they're getting with this setup. Something about cylinders should be plated and tapered bore. I thought all cylinders were tapered (bore diameter smaller at top). By the way my 0320 is forward sump as I compared it to a friends 0320-A1A rear sump, and I do have dynofocal I mounts. My crank is hollow with a cross over inside. Should be ok for constant speed. I should know more later all my steel engine parts have been sent to A/C Specialties. Hope others will add.
Thanks
Jim
RV7AAAAAAA