rsrguy3

Before you tell me to just sell my stuff and buy an o320, understand I have most of the parts to follow through on this, as I want to mod the o290 and build my 0320 to a 340. I have the time and am doing this to learn.
I know its it's been done and discussed on this forum before but I'm not getting the data I need to make a decision, I've done the searches, so please bear with me.
I have the o290 as well as the o320 motor, crank and jugs. I know I can bore my spigots to take the o320 jugs, but that is all I've learned about so far. Can I just bolt the jugs on and go, with the o290 crank and rods... as my understanding is the stroke is the same? Or do I need the o320 crank rods and pins? What other considerations are there? what I really need is a list of things to do.... like the galactic overload gives me before I go to the store.
Lastly I spoke at length to an engine builder somewhere in mt or mn .... general area that did all the case work but I've lost his contact info he's like a lycoming methuselah he was very helpful and knowledgeable and was able to walk me through all of it, sounded just a little crazy too, if he sounds familiar could you point me that way as well?
Thanks in advance,
Guy

55 f35
53 pa22
62 150
Looking for an rv 3 or 4 basket case

Curtis Pitts used to do this many years ago. I think before the era of the wide deck cylinders.
What you need to do is get a parts manual for the 0 290 and 0 320 and compare the parts such as connecting rods.

If your using the cylinders off the 320, they have to be narrow deck.....if the 320 is a wide deck the cylinders won't fit the narrow deck bolt pattern of the 290 case.

Did I make that clear??........I hope so

Are there other camshafts than the original that would work on an o-290d2? I was told and o-235 camshaft would work.
Any recommendations for a shop to do case work in the northeast?