kg6kct

Well Known Member
Hello there, my question is if any one has installed a O290d2 in an rv9a? I have found one rv9 that has but I am curious of any fit problems and other considerations with this engine.

I am probably the guy you found who had the O-290-D2 in their -9. I have spoken to a few others who have put this engine in their -9A, so I know it does fit.

If you have this engine already, you will need to change the accessory case to add a fuel pump.

Also, make sure you upgrade the valve seats and use O-320 valves.

Even with those changes, it is still a 1500 TBO engine.

Make sure the engine has a carb, as the correct carb for this engine is very difficult to locate. The rest of the accessories are easy to obtain.

While this engine is a great fit for the -9 and -9A, the lack of parts and support make it very difficult for me to recommend it. Not to mention the problems you will have trying to sell the plane, if it ever comes to that.

Unless someone is giving you the engine and it is Zero SMO, I would keep looking for a good O-320.

PS. Check your PM's.

a little advice....

Hey Gary,
as a -9a driver for the last 6+ years, but not many hours, I have to suggest that you get as many rides as possible to narrow down options like these.
I bought, not built, so my choices were much fewer, but still, if you are building a 900 lb flyweight, good for you....but......
If you think you might want to haul your big buddy and some gear over the mountains on a hot weekend, you would really like the feel of a C/S prop with 180 hp bolted to the firewall.
spending some butt-time in other birds really helps me decide where I want the cup holders, fuel valve, and everything in between!

just my silly opinion, good luck!

thank you!

I want to thank you guys especially Bill Morrison. I have sold the O290 and am indeed looking for an O320 core engine (anybody know of one). I got to say that the rv community is amazing! Just makes my day when some one steps up and takes the time to give good constructive advise and wisdom. Thanks again :)