riobison

Well Known Member
O2 in a RV4

I?m looking at putting in Oxygen into my RV4 but I?m struggling to keep this simple. Most of my flying is solo but occasionaly my GF will be with me. Most of the trips would here in West Canada from Alberta to the Interior BC with 2 hr trips as an average and probably no more than 15,500 ft.

It is a struggle, do I go with the 9cu ft bottle as room is at a premium? Or try and jam the 13 or 15 cu ft bottle in somewhere? I'm trying to keep the refills at a minimum but space is at a premium.

What are you guys using and where have you been putting the bottle?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

I got a 22 cubic ft Kevlar bottle & pulse system from Mountain High. It only weighs about 5 lbs with everything. I just strap it "papoose" to the back of the rollbar. I bought the carrying case made for it. Has straps & I add one. Seems pretty secure to me. Thinking if I crash land hard enough to dislodge it, well, I have worse problems than it flying around.:eek:

I use O2 for extended trips even if I only go to 6,500. Find I'm not as tired upon reaching destination. Is a bit pricy for the bottle; but it provides large capacity for so very little weight compared to a metal bottle.

My sweetheart velcros her iPad to it. I have removed the rear stick.

I fill it out of my welding bottle. Works for me. :D

Cheers,

Hello Deal,

I was also thinking of strapping it to the roll bar. Your right if that dislodges from there we probably have bigger problems.

I know 20 years ago flying my Cardinal at 12k or 13k in the summer my DA was probably well over 14K or 15K. Once on the ground I would be exhausted and the migraines would start. Back then I thought it was the stress but after spending a few years in the Andes in Peru and Ecuador I now believe it was the effects of Hypoxia that I had suffered. So, no sense going through the learning curve again. I will buy the O2.

Thanks

Tim

Roll bar is a good idea...

When solo, I just lay it on the floor right behind the rear spar. I also have space for bagage up where the battery compartment used to be between my legs. If my wife is with me I usually put it up there. It is very convenient with the regulator and all right in front of the front stick.

I like Brent's suggestion. I thought about just storing it in the baggage compartment; but make certain the oxy line wasn't smashed. You can get lines of any length.

I have a D tank that I put in an old hydration backpack. It has a waist strap I put around to hold it tight to the seat back. It also has an extra chest strap that I wrap around the roll bar. This means it has 4 straps holding it away from the flight controls. I think it works well. You could get to it in flight but so far I have remembered to turn it on before strapping in.

main.php