Good lord what a scam. Bottled air?

perriair.jpg

If you haven't seen Spaceballs then flog yourself.

No indication of how much is in the can, whether when opened it just keeps coming out (i.e., is it metered? can it be turned off/on?) etc. I suggest just building a small O2 system if you are anticipating doing any flying above ~10,000 ft. This can be done for a couple hundred dollars and there are a couple of threads on it in the archives.

cheers,
greg

Good lord what a scam. Bottled air?

Sig,

The reason I found this is that a friend, who happens to be a C-150 pilot tried to tell me that if I ingested Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) like he does I'd have much less to worry about at altitude...

Sure, as your picture shows, if some can make a living from selling tap water, why not O2? Now, what did P.T.Barnum say?

Sig,

The reason I found this is that a friend, who happens to be a C-150 pilot tried to tell me that if I ingested Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) like he does I'd have much less to worry about at altitude...

Sure, as your picture shows, if some can make a living from selling tap water, why not O2? Now, what did P.T.Barnum say?

Does your friend have any silver fillings? We had two banana tanks of hydrogen peroxide between the large pressure bulkhead and the heat shield on Mercury that provided the attitude control fuel. It was routed to the silver catalyst beds in the pitch, roll and yaw thrusters.

Bob Axsom

Notice it's advertised as "95% Oxygen Enriched Air."
Hmmm..."95% Oxygen Enriched Air."

The engineer in me tells me it's 95% air with the other 5% being "Oxygen enriched" whatever that means.

Of course air is a mixture of mostly oxygen and nitrogen, so it appears to be air with just a little "enrichment" of oxygen. Big HMMMM!!!

Yeah, I'd be willing to say this is offered for sale by the grandson of ole P.T. Barnum himself!

P.S. I really like the last bullet on their web page It says "No Crashing." :D That ought to be of real interest to pilots!!!

Last edited:
Bob, the hydrogen peroxide used in spacecraft is 100%, and is highly reactive. :(
Pharmaceutical grade is 10%, and far safer. :)

Joe

O2 bottle

How much does it cost? Not thinking for airplane use, but it might be useful for us old guys who still try to compete with the young guns at the ice hockey rink. :) if I just had one more lung, or was thirty years younger, I could be "average" LOL...
Back to your regularly scheduled discussion... :)

Dennis
Love the Mel Brooks bit...

I bought a similar container at the local drug store, for a friend. It was pure O2, cost about $18.

The quantity was very small, and the instructions advised to use it in small amounts - not simply breathe until empty.

I regard it as unsuitable for flying, due to the small quantity and the care needed to get the right amount.

Dave

The correct (and debatable) only reaction to hypoxia is to descend. Immediately.

Gambling with physiology carries no win for the risk.

Aircraft spruce sells O2 in a small (CO2 type cartridge style) unit with a month piece forget how long its good for but I would say it may get you over a mountain pass. Saw it at the Arlington Washington airshow couple of weeks ago at their display.

Ron in Oregon

The correct (and debatable) only reaction to hypoxia is to descend. Immediately.

Gambling with physiology carries no win for the risk.

I went to a forum on hypoxia presented by a DR., not an 02 peddler and from what I learned you are absolutely correct. The limits of 12,500' and 14,000' for a 1/2 hour are for a strapping 21 year old in excellent health. He flelt O2 above 9,000' should be mandatory.

Since we are all different (physiologically speaking) I think everyone who flies above 9000' should get a O2 meter (the finger kind) for $35. and measure your 02 saturation level. if it goes below 92 you should fly lower or get an 02 system.

http://stores.oximd.com/StoreFront.bok

Sig,

This is stupid and has a hundred reasons chemically why it is stupid and if you want to PM me I will go through all the Bio-mechanisms I did in thrid year as to why it is stupid.

Yes it will produce O2, but that is like saying that selling one of your kidneys is a good way of making money.

And as far as Chemical grade being 10%, I don't know what Lab you worked in but I had access to plent of higher Molar conc than that of H2O2.

I went to a forum on hypoxia presented by a DR., not an 02 peddler and from what I learned you are absolutely correct. The limits of 12,500' and 14,000' for a 1/2 hour are for a strapping 21 year old in excellent health. He flelt O2 above 9,000' should be mandatory.

Since we are all different (physiologically speaking) I think everyone who flies above 9000' should get a O2 meter (the finger kind) for $35. and measure your 02 saturation level. if it goes below 92 you should fly lower or get an 02 system.

http://stores.oximd.com/StoreFront.bok

If you can find an altitude chamber to take a ride in, it'll really open your eyes to symptoms you didn't even know you were suffering from. Risking your physiology is a zero gain game.

This is stupid and has a hundred reasons chemically why it is stupid and if you want to PM me I will go through all the Bio-mechanisms I did in thrid year as to why it is stupid.

Yes it will produce O2, but that is like saying that selling one of your kidneys is a good way of making money.

And as far as Chemical grade being 10%, I don't know what Lab you worked in but I had access to plent of higher Molar conc than that of H2O2.

This was bound to happen wasn't it? Gus, please go back and read the original post very slowly and then feel free to edit yours. You seem to think I am endorsing the ingestion of H2O2 and I assure you I am not. I merely am passing along some junk science that a friend believes in. You seem to have taken it a bit too seriously...

BTW, no I don't work in a lab, but could you explain what "Molar" is for those of us who did not get to "third year" in whatever discipline you are referring to?

My bad

This was bound to happen wasn't it? Gus, please go back and read the original post very slowly and then feel free to edit yours. You seem to think I am endorsing the ingestion of H2O2 and I assure you I am not. I merely am passing along some junk science that a friend believes in. You seem to have taken it a bit too seriously...

BTW, no I don't work in a lab, but could you explain what "Molar" is for those of us who did not get to "third year" in whatever discipline you are referring to?

Sorry Jerry,

I wasn't clear in my statement. You weren't saying that it was a good idea.

Notice that I said the practice itself is ill advised not that any single person was being irresponsible.

I myself have done many stupid things in life hence I am an expert in stupidity and can spot it from a distance. Especially chemically, playing with molten glass with 1300 degree furnace, screwing around with Liquid nitrogen by throwing it in a shower down the hall ...etc

My comment was to discourage anyone from even contemplating it. Molar concentration, by the way, is the unit of concentration that is used in science to describe solution strength.

Again, my comment was out of serious alarm that someone would even try that. Honestly, that is just not good for you. It won't kill you but then again neither does drinking a mouthful of kerosene but do you really want to do that?