I did a search to see if anybody was flying behind one of these engines yet.
Looks like a lot of folks have them but haven't flown them as of last year. I'm thinking about a O-375 with a Catto 3 blade on my 7-A. Anybody have any real world numbers yet?
Thanks,
Larry

As pointed out by a friend and fellow VAF member, one problem with going with these "odd" engines like this and (I)O-340 is that if there turns out to be a problem with the key parts (Such as a cylinder or crank recall.) you have nowhere else to go for replacement parts.

Only the crankshaft . . . .

. . . is different on this engine. I verified this with Bart LaLonde of Aero Sport before I ordered mine. If worst came to worst, you could go back with a normal parallel valve -360 crankshaft and you would have a 7:1 compression ratio (in my case) (I)O-360. Even the bearings would work according to Bart. Of course a crankshaft isn't cheap, but I decided this was a reasonable "risk" given the other advantages to this engine. ECI's 340 has a different crank, rods, and pistons from anything else so your exposure there is somewhat higher.

Last edited:
IO-375

Hi there,

I have about 70 hours on my IO-375 powered RV-8 with no issues (whirlwind 200RV prop). I dont have any experience with other engines, so cannot provide any meaningful comparisons. However my -8 climbs well enough (~2500 fpm solo) and tops out at >190 KIAS at sea level. Pretty much Vans numbers for an RV-8. As far as cruise goes, I can set-up a cruise at ~8000' at 180 KTAS and ~9 G/hr. When I originally approached Bart, I wanted ~200HP without paying the 200HP premium, and he delivered! Aerosport's customer support has been second to none.

Robert Grigson
RV-8 IO375-M1B 200RV

I did a search to see if anybody was flying behind one of these engines yet.
Looks like a lot of folks have them but haven't flown them as of last year. I'm thinking about a O-375 with a Catto 3 blade on my 7-A. Anybody have any real world numbers yet?
Thanks,
Larry

To your original question of "O" vs. "IO" - there are a lot of opinions. If you want to try to fly lean of peak, IO seems to be the way to go. Also less likely to have to worry about carb icing in the soup.