Rick_A

Well Known Member
Installing the fuel pump inlet fitting on my new TMX O-360 has become a real challenge. The C/S prop governor pad interferes with the fuel line/fitting.

If I put a straight fitting on, I can't get the fuel line on. I just tried to install a 45 deg fitting on the pump but that won't go on without removing the governor pad. So I've either have to remove the fuel pump or the governor pad.

Is there any other solution or fitting that will work?

I'm sure I'm not the 1st one to have this problem and quite honestly I'm surprised that Mattituck would send the engine out without the fuel fitting installed. I'm sure every O-360 with a CS prop has this problem.

90 degree fitting?

Sounds like you need a 90 degree fitting? FYI my Superior didn't come the fuel lines on either...

Hans

Hummm, got my Superior XP-360 from Aerosport Power and had this installed already. I did note in the Vantage ops manual that they don't recommend 90-deg fittings if using no-lead fuel due to vapor lock issues.

P5260107.JPG

It's been quite a while. But as I remember, these type of fittings (as in the pic) install, without having to rotate the complete fitting, which compensates for a no room problem; as with the initial question.

L.Adamson

Is there enough clearance to install a 90?

As best I can tell these fuel fitting DO need to rotate to install them. There is nut that can be used to do the final tightening against the O-ring so that you can get the fitting tight and in the correct orientation. If you don't turn the fitting, the threads don't engage in the pump body.

Does any one know if there is enough clearance to install the 90 deg fitting without removing any thing?

My understanding is that a 90 is not the best choice on the inlet side but if I can get it on without removing the governor pad, I settle for it (and buy my 3rd fitting).

Fuel Pump

Hey Rick,

The fuel pump is a breeze to take on and off... no big deal. I would work in that direction.

Need fittings

Rick, if you need the fittings, I might have them kicking around. I would be happy to send them off to you if I have them.

Remove Fuel Pump or Governor pad?

Darrell, thanks for the advise and Jon, thanks for the offer. I guess I've got to decide if I want to pull off the fuel pump. I started trying to remove the governor pad but after removing the nuts, it wouldn't budge. That's when I decided I needed to re-think what I was doing.

Now that I've checked the Overhaul Manual (found on the Superior website) it does look like the Fuel pump may be easier to remove.

The instructions for installing the fuel pump say "rotate the engine to provide the least amount of fuel pump plunger extension". Not sure how I would determine "least extension" and since my engine is preserved, I don't want to turn it unless I really, really have to.

That's interesting. I have a straight fitting on my fuel pump and the hose passes right by under the governor without interference. I have a Van's Lycoming 0-360 A1A.

Roberta

pumpuu0.jpg

Rick:

I have a TMXO-360 on MY RV-8. I removed the fuel pump to put the fitting on. No problem at all.

Glenn V
RV-8 (at paint shop)

I asked the same question wrt to an O-320 the other day. You may want to review the thread " Removing the Fuel Pump on a -4? " I posted on 11/30/07 in the RV4 section. The advice I got largely applies to you.