guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
guys: I have read the archives,05/06, about problems with low fuel pressure. Has anyone figured out the cause and a cure. I have the Dynon 180 and my pressure on climbout and criuse sometimes gets as low as .5 psi. The motor is happy but the pilot is not. I hope someone has by now found a fix. Thanks in advance, Dan

can you post some pics showing where your pressure reading is tapped from and the hose and the sensor.

That pressure reading is with the aux pump on/off or both?

Re: O-360 low fuel Pressure more info

Guys: The fuel pressure system is Van's typical plumbing with a Dynon 180 display. The pressure tap is at the tee of the output of the engine driven pump, the big hose to the carb and the little hose to the firewall mounted sender. The boost pump is the Van's supplied facet pump. The bosst pump pressure is 3.5-4.3, depending on power setting. Dan

I have an O320, and during full-power climb (takeoff and other), my fuel pressure will drop to 1 psi and raise an alarm. The engine never complains.

Turning the boost pump on fixes the issue.

Vern

The likely cause is an automotive sender problem. Pressure senders compare the internal pressure in the fuel line to atmospheric pressure. The difference is what your gauge shows.

The problem is when a pressure sensor doesn't have a big enough static port and the air pressure inside the sensor is different than ambient pressure. sensor. This causes artificially low pressure readings in fast climbing aircraft.

When you descend, you probably see surprisingly high pressures. Same basic cause - the static port in the sensor isn't big enough, so the pressure inside the sensor is lower than ambient air, causing false high readings.

Once you're at cruising altitude for a few minutes, does pressure stabilizes at an appropriate reading? This is just more evidence that everything is OK with your system except the size of the static port on the sender.

I have heard...

That this is sometimes caused by air in the fuel line leading to the sensor.

Or was that oil pressure?

Either way, try "bleeding" the line leading to the sensor.

Last edited: