Doug Rodrigues

I'm accumulating engine parts piecemeal to have enough to assemble a functioning engine. Question: With what was originally a wide deck engine case, can narrow deck cylinders be used on that case with the narrow deck crankshaft? Is there difference between the N/D and the W/D crankcases other than the W/D has a reputation of being more prone to cracks? Is the accessory housing identical for both crankcases?

Engine questions

Doug....alot of opinions out there re: your questions. Go to the Lycoming website and research the "Flyer"....alot of good info there. Also try Sacs Skyranch and check out their "knowledge base".

The reference you made to cracking is correct. The narrow case is much stronger. The mounting flanges at the base of the cylinders are different but same hole pattern.

They don't mix. Cylinders and cases I mean. Crankshaft is the same afaik. Why would you want to mix them anyway if you have the option? And ebay wouldn't be my first choice. Buy new cylinders, they are worth it if you are putting an engine together.