RONSIM

Well Known Member
The claim: ----- original O360A1A, 180hp ---- added Bendix fuel injection, bringing the engine to 200hp as an IO360A1A. ---

Does this really work? Just curious!

Just bought a -6A, where this claim was made --- really don't care too much, as the airplane flies great.

Ron

Someone much wiser than me will chime in, I'm sure. However, I don't think just adding the fuel injection brings it to the 200hp. Maybe if they changed to higher compression pistons. Interesting question though. What does it take to bring a 180hp O-360 A1A to the 200hp variant?

IO-360-A1A is 200HP, this is not the same as the O-360-A1A, the IO engine has angle valve cylinders and 8.7 compression, the O engine has parallel valve cylinders and 8.5 compression, adding FI does have positive benefits but does not raise HP.

IO-360-A1A is a completely different engine, with completely different cylinders. Someone sold you snake oil ;)

Fuel Injection

There are some experts who claim that in a test cell a carb will produce slightly better power than injector. However with an optimal induction system and front mounted injector the injector will produce more power at high speeds because of the boost in manifold pressure from ram air. Typically about 1" manifold pressure above ambient at 200 miles per hour with a front mounted injector.

I talked with a Lycoming service rep earlier this year about engine sumps and fuel distribution. He agreed that the carb engines with horizontal intake sump have better fuel distribution to the cylinders than the vertical sump, so I have a Rotec TBI unit I would like to try on a front sump RV-4 to get that ram air and better fuel mixture at a lower price than 'real injection'. The problem with these mods is job stacking, as the existing crossover exhaust is in the way. So this is my wife's plane, and taking it out of service for change out of sump, carb, exhaust, and fiberglassing a custom air inlet is not well received.
I might try it on my T-18...