Kitfoxbill

Anyone flying with a O-340Stroker with a three blade Catto prop in a RV-7?

If so what pitch? I have planed on a O-360 but can get a O-340S for 20 percent off.

William Bennett
RV-8A flying. For sale
RV-7 finising.

Maybe it is my ignorance but what is an O-340 S? Are parts available? What power is it?

Personally I would need to know more than just 20% off which may come to haunt you if the engine is an oddball variant.

The 0-340 is a nice engine. The one I know about is made by ECI, called Titan EXP. It basically is a 320 with a longer stroke giving it a few more HP. I believe everything other than that is the same. It looks like a good option, but with the 360 about the same price, I didn't consider it too much. At a 20% discount, it gets back into the game.

http://www.eci.aero/exp/IOX340stroker.aspx

Last edited:
Well William,
I do not have the O-340 but do have the IO-340 and it is in a 9A not a 7. I have 2.5 years of experience flying with the engine and 3-blade Catto prop combo. My prop is a 68x72 Catto 3-blade. I talked with you briefly at LOE about the engine. I can give you more information than what I provided if you like, just PM me if you wish.

Ron,
This is an ECi engine. It is a stroked 320. You can find information about the engine here:
http://www.eci.aero/exp/IOX340stroker.aspx

My power output is rated at 185 HP for the IO-340. And yes, ECi is the manufacturer and supplier of parts for this engine so parts are easily obtained.

Call Craig Catto, he will know exactly what pitch to select. He bases his pitch on HP (not the engine), carb or FI, mag's or EI, the airframe, and your desired climb & cruise criteria.

For example, mine is based on 180 HP, dual EI, carb, RV-9, and that I wanted a cruise prop.

What I have is a prop that will just touch 200 MPH at 75% at 8000' DA and still climb at around 1800 FPM at gross. (My CFI and I saw over 2000 FPM with 1/2 tanks during my bi-annual last week.)

Craig just makes a great prop!

Research

Someone mentioned in this thread could be called and they can advise you of some harmonic issues they have encountered with the 340 stroker. There is a plane manufactured using this engine with props loosing leading edge protection... as in Flying Stainless. There is also a New Technology computerized tool from Brazil if I recall correctly, first one in the states that has been used to verify this harmonic issue along with providing other good information.