Tram

Well Known Member
Last couple or three flights I've have, I've noticed it seemsto be hard to slow down on approach. I've had to work at getting it under 100.

I attributed this to new interior which may have changed my sight picture.

Well I flew today and noticed again, I can't slow down, like it used to.

On the taxi in, I noticed idle RPM was ~800rpm. Seems like it used to/should be idling around 500rpm..

Anyone?

Check cable

It sounds like something has changed. Start by checking that the cable is hitting and staying on the stops at the carb. Has this cable been touched when the interior went in?
If it is ok, then the idle needs adjusting. I normally use about 600 rpm. It's also worthwhile checking to see that the idle mixture is correct and you get a 30-50 rpm increase if you very slowly pull the mixture at idle.

Peter

I had the same problem after installing Pmags my idle went from 600 to 850 and my plane wanted to float a little. I backed it off to 500 and get a lot better sink rate on final and land short again. At 500 it's a little rough if you pull the throttle all the way out on the ground but when you pull it out on downwind it slows down faster. On the ground I just push it in till it's smooth.

It sounds like something has changed. Start by checking that the cable is hitting and staying on the stops at the carb. Has this cable been touched when the interior went in?
If it is ok, then the idle needs adjusting. I normally use about 600 rpm. It's also worthwhile checking to see that the idle mixture is correct and you get a 30-50 rpm increase if you very slowly pull the mixture at idle.

Peter

I think it's just the idle, the interior is just some seats.. :) Spartan at best.

I'll give it a look over this afternoon.

I had the same problem after installing Pmags my idle went from 600 to 850 and my plane wanted to float a little. I backed it off to 500 and get a lot better sink rate on final and land short again. At 500 it's a little rough if you pull the throttle all the way out on the ground but when you pull it out on downwind it slows down faster. On the ground I just push it in till it's smooth.

We just came out of a condition inspection and the mechanic did some work on the carb, so that could be the issue for us.