rjcthree

Well Known Member
My crossover Vetterman comes within 1/4" of the cast oil sump of my H2AD, both unmodified. Previous discussions with Larry indated that it's typical to dimple that area of the pipe for more clearance - but at the time, my notes from the conversation indicate 1/4" clearance was enough. Somehow, I don't think it is, and while dimpling may get me another 1/4" realistically, I think shielding is order.

Thoughts? Rick 90432

Mine was even closer than that on my H2AD install on my -6. I only had about an 1/8th clearance on the left front corner of the sump as standard if memory serves me correctly. I found an old bolt of suitable diameter and just bumped a dimple in the right place by just hitting the bolt (on its side) with the hammer. The most I could get was 1/4 clearance. I have no shielding installed. Hasn't been a problem in 220hrs flying so far.

Graham
RV-6 with H2AD

Mine was 1/16" and my oil temps often reached max during climbs on hot days.

I sent the entire system to Larry and he made me a new piece and a heat shield, inspected the exhaust, and replaced some hardware for less than $100.00. My clearance is now over 1" and my temps are much better now! Great guy!

On a side note if either of you two (or anyone else) is flying an H2AD with a sen. prop please private me. I'm trying to iron some things out on my 6A and would like some comparisons.

Thanks

Gem