frewjm

I'm New Here
DAR's & Engine builders may be able to help in this one.
We have a category in our regulations which allows for some homebuilt aircraft to be registered as a certified aircraft.
Accordingly my Lycoming O-320 E2A is a certified engine currently udergoing a bulk strip. In which I would like to instal the Lycoming PN: LW-15357 9:1 pistons from the H series engines.
In the certified world has such an installation Type Certificate been issued ?
Cheers
John

We have a category in our regulations which allows for some homebuilt aircraft to be registered as a certified aircraft.
Accordingly my Lycoming O-320 E2A is a certified engine currently undergoing a bulk strip. In which I would like to install the Lycoming PN: LW-15357 9:1 pistons from the H series engines.
Cheers
John
I don't know of any STC allowing 9:1 c/r in an O-320-EXX engine. I have 9.5:1 pistons in my E3D, but they certainly are NOT certified.

Accordingly my Lycoming O-320 E2A is a certified engine currently udergoing a bulk strip. In which I would like to instal the Lycoming PN: LW-15357 9:1 pistons from the H series engines.
Cheers
John

Team, from a previous posting by a most respected member the following data is extracted.
"9:1 compression is attained by use of the LW-15357 or equivalent, in the O-320, and it is generally accepted that you should use 100LL above with this engine. You should see around 164 HP at take off, with those pistons.

Good Luck,
Mahlon
"
Blue skies to all

That isn't allowed for certified engines.... only experimental. The only STC's or approval basis for higher compression in a certified O-320-E2A, that I have seen, is for 160HP using 75089 pistons. This is normally accomplished in a certified engine by either STC or converting the E2A to a D2A.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

STC & Engineering Orders

Hi Mahlon,
as you point out the 9:1 pistons installation is not on any STC that I can find. We have an Engineering Order (EO) option which an individual shop can apply to the CASA for in certain specific cases.
Am researching thru this forum to find if there are other companies who have this approval. or other instrument Of course it is only a 4 HP increase so not too important, but am looking at best options while the engine is in the shop being prepared for rebuild.
Many thanks for your input.

Regards