ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Hi all:

I'm seriously considering buying an O-320 B2B for my RV-9A. It has the rear mounted carburator which I've heard interferes with the nose wheel mount. Does anybody know who I can talk to about buying the parts requires to change the carb mounting location? I know I'd need a new sump but there are tubes as well. I want to get a price on this change before I buy the engine.

Thanks!

Kelly Johnson
San Jose, CA
About ready to mount the empennage.

Kelly,

I would get an O-320 parts book. You can then compare the part numbers between all the components and figure out what you have and what you need. Actually swapping everything over should not be too difficult, don't forget to use new locking washers. If you don't buy the B2B, the parts book will still be useful whatever model of O-320 you end up with.

Pete

Trade?

Ya know some of the wild ***ed ideas George smirks at me about?? Well, one of them involves installing my Bendix FI in an aft mounted sump, AKA Glasair style. If your sump will fit my O-360, I trade ya, if you will pay for shipping to S. Fl.
Glen

Glen, I know a guy with a Glasair I RG that picks up about a inch of boost in flight by way of a ram a duct, glassed from a front round inlet to the inside of the cowl, then unfiltered into his rear mounted IO-320 FI. Works almost as good as a straight shot forward mount FI. So your crazy idea might have validity.

As for your sump, the opening on yours is probably too big for a O-320, but check the part numbers in the parts book to be sure. I know I've got an O-290 running a carb one size to big because of a sump change, and it DOESN'T tune right at all.

You will also have to modify or replace the accessory housing, in addition to the sump and intake tubes. The rear mounting type sump uses a different oil suction system then does the forward carb mounting style sump. Thus, the modification or replacement of the accessory housing is necessary to accommodate the different style oil pick up that the forward carb mount style sump uses. Not a big deal, but may be a consideration.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Easy Mods?

mahlon_r said:
You will also have to modify or replace the accessory housing, in addition to the sump and intake tubes. The rear mounting type sump uses a different oil suction system then does the forward carb mounting style sump. Thus, the modification or replacement of the accessory housing is necessary to accommodate the different style oil pick up that the forward carb mount style sump uses. Not a big deal, but may be a consideration.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Mahlon, isn't this oil pick up change just the addition of a blanking plate over the old pick up tube location, and the removal of an internal plug?

All bolt-on, screw in items, no actual modifications to the accessory case....

With the only other changes being to change the intake tubes - which now go to the same length.

gil in Tucson - with a O-320-E2G that will get the same mod.... :)

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it will all work out for me. Aerosport power has a new sump, tubes, and all the gaskets and seals to perform the operation for $700.

I'm not quite understanding the plate fab. I have a parts book at home. Is there an illustration somewhere or will it be obvious when I remove the old sump?

Thanks again.

You also need a new oil suction screen and cap and gasket, you didn't mention they were coming. I hope they are. Yes the plate will be obvious when you remove the other style pick up screen and remove the galley plug.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."