rv6builder

Well Known Member
Hey guys- Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on mounting an o-320 B2A on an RV-6. Is there any modification required being that it is a conical mount?

Thanks-

Alex

September will be 13-years that I have been flying my RV-6 with O 320 B2B that I converted to Constant Speed operation. There is almost 2,400 hours on the RV. Engine has over 5,500 hours since new. Conical mount has been NO problem.

Alex,

Welcome to the VAF forum!

Van's sells conical mounts, just order one with your FWF kit. When ordering your "isolation dampeners" AKA mounts, order good ones (typically Lord mounts). I had the solid rubber ones on my engine and in 250 hours they sagged almost a half inch and needed replacing. So, I replaced the entire engine, mount, cowling, prop, and a few other small parts.

However, if you are going to major the engine, it can be converted to a Dynafocal mount for around $250.

Last edited:
Alex,

Welcome to the VAF forum!

Van's sells conical mounts, just order one with your FWF kit. When ordering your "isolation dampeners" AKA mounts, order good ones (typically Lord mounts). I had the solid rubber ones on my engine and in 250 hours they sagged almost a half inch and needed replacing. So, I replaced the entire engine, mount, cowling, prop, and a few other small parts.

However, if you are going to major the engine, it can be converted to a Dynafocal mount for around $250.

I have used the CHEAP (Less than $40 for the entire set from Wag-Aero) conical rubber mounts for over 2,000 hours. The airplane will be at Oshkosh AirVenture 2010 to see that there is MINIMAL sagging.

They are great engines! Supercubs, Citabrias, R22's all use um. My engine shop tells me to stay away from the narrow deck ones if possible due to case cracking issues, but the wide deck ones are champs!

Awesome, Thanks for the info guys! Sounds promising. There is some mention on the Vans website that the FWF or part of it wasnt compatible with the conical mount, Anyone have any idea what that would be? I was probably going to put my my own fwf together anyways but it would be nice to know what I need to do differently...

Alex

dynafocul conversion?

Hey Bill R....how do you do a dynafocul conversion? I guess a machine shop can recut the mount holes but I never heard of this. It would make a whole bunch of o-320's that are out there better candidates. I have passed on a few because I have a dyna 1 mount....hmmmmm I even have a good 0-235 sitting on my bench, can I cut that? Thanks in advance.
Evan