dlomheim

Well Known Member
Seeking information from anyone flying with an O-290 w/an oil cooler; specifically how yours is plumbed from / to the case / accessory case, etc. I will soon be pulling the engine from the RV-3 we just purchased and need to research how best to install an oil cooler where none currently exists. I also want to add a remote / integral oil filter and wondered if anyone has any sources on where to get that item, and also if there is even enough room between the case and firewall to install an integral one...it looks pretty tight from what I've seen of it thus far...

Thanks for any information.

Doug Lomheim
RV-3 (flyable in a few months)
RV-9A (12 year project w/13B, currently on hold)

Stuart Warner Oil cooler

I have a new in the box SW 6 row oil cooler,that I can give you a smoking good deal on, I'm 0-360 and need the 7 row, I'm Packing for OSH right now and plan on leaving Thursday(driving) I could bring this along if you like,email me.
Bob

Hey Doug,

My only O-290 experience is with the RV-1, but at some point, it was mentioned that the engine had an O-320 accessory case in order to allow the use of an oil cooler. I didn't do any research on that statement, but you might check to see if there appears to be any place to hook one up or not. You might skim through the photos on www.rv-1.org to see if there is anything that helps.

The oil cooler itself was mounted just in front of the sump when we found the airplane - we relocated it to the baffle behind #4 during the restoration because we used a modern set of baffles, and that was the easiest thing to do.

Oil Cooler

Hi Doug

I have a refurbished oil cooler that came off my Super Cub, it had the 0-290.
I don't have a need for it and would let you have it cheap if you need one.

Mike
678-517-0144

RV-1...

Hey Doug,

My only O-290 experience is with the RV-1, but at some point, it was mentioned that the engine had an O-320 accessory case in order to allow the use of an oil cooler. I didn't do any research on that statement, but you might check to see if there appears to be any place to hook one up or not. You might skim through the photos on www.rv-1.org to see if there is anything that helps...

Thanks for the info. and link Paul. I'm not sure what accessory case we have right now...probably an O-290 "D" or maybe an O-320...

Enjoy OSH as well; hopefully I can make it there next year...but also want to do Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary and tough to do it all!:cool:

Check out my engine page.

It details the installation of the O-290-D2 I first flew with, including changing the accessory case so I could mount a fuel pump and oil filter.

Feel free to contact me, if you have any questions.

Oil Cooler Pictures

Doug,
I have the 0-290-d2 and the cooler is located at the top/rear part of firewall. If you want, i can take some pics and send to you when I take the cowl off this week.
Craig

Sorry Craig I got busy and just noticed your reply to my thread from a while ago...did you by chance take an pictures while you had the cowl off? If not, no worries...maybe next time you've got it off. I don't think we'll be flying it anyway until it is cooler outside where it won't be necessary anyway; so I'm looking to add the cooler in the winter when the a/c will be down for bad weather anyways...

Thanks.

doug

Last edited: