Righty

Maybe I missed something at some point, but didn't Van's used to sell new O-235s? I can't find any reference to it in their webstore. Seems like the popular shops don't have them as a regular offering either.

Where can one get one of these new these days?

Maybe I missed something at some point, but didn't Van's used to sell new O-235s? I can't find any reference to it in their webstore. Seems like the popular shops don't have them as a regular offering either.

Where can one get one of these new these days?

You can always get them from Lycomings Thunderbolt Division.
www.mytbolt.com

Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was curious that this engine was not listed on their Engine Order Form. I guess you have to ask for it.

Just give Vans a call

I am building a lightweight 9, and questioned Vans about a 235. They still fully support the installation. Engine and mounts, as well as firewall forward packages. I was surprised at how many are being built this way, and the consensus was that there has been a renewed interest in that configuration. The 9 is an excellent airframe for a low power, economical flying machine.
Looks like we may be seeing more of them in the near future!!

Best to all,
Chris

I am building a lightweight 9, and questioned Vans about a 235. They still fully support the installation. Engine and mounts, as well as firewall forward packages. I was surprised at how many are being built this way, and the consensus was that there has been a renewed interest in that configuration. The 9 is an excellent airframe for a low power, economical flying machine.
Great to hear. I also think that the O-235 makes sense on the -3.

TODR

O-235 comparision

One of the things I've been looking at is price. There really isn't a hole lot of difference between the price of the O-235 and the O-320. What is the performance like (fuel flow, etc) on an O-320 throttled back to O-235 levels?

TBO and Lifecycle Costs

I still have a lot of time before I need to buy an engine, but I still find myself vacillating between the various possibilities. I'm tending to lean towards light, simple, and proven. One thing that interests me about the 235 is the TBO.

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1009AT.pdf

2400 hours for the 235 versus 2000 for the 320. Of course, the actual TBO will vary depending on a lot of factors, but I think it can be assumed that given two new engines treated in the exact same manner, the 235 will last proportionally longer.