avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hi all-
Have decided to go with the nylon spacer as my aileron stop. Got a 1" OD spacer at Loew's but just a hair too small for the 9A. Was wondering what size others have used and where they purchased them. I would prefer to get the spacer as opposed to starting from scratch with a delrin rod. I am thinking I will need 1 1/4" OD with a 1/4" ID hole and 3/8" wide.
As always, any help will be appreciated.

Peter K
9A

Hi all-
Have decided to go with the nylon spacer as my aileron stop. Got a 1" OD spacer at Loew's but just a hair too small for the 9A. Was wondering what size others have used and where they purchased them. I would prefer to get the spacer as opposed to starting from scratch with a delrin rod. I am thinking I will need 1 1/4" OD with a 1/4" ID hole and 3/8" wide.
As always, any help will be appreciated.

Peter K
9A
On the 9/9A, you cannot use a delrin stop unless you are willing to have it be big enough to protrude into the slip stream. If you use the smallers ones that are useable on the 7 and 8, you will exceed the allowed aileron travel per Van's instructions. I tried multiple versions to make it work but then just did it Van's way. No big deal, cheap, and easy.

Hope this helps.

On the 9/9A, you cannot use a delrin stop unless you are willing to have it be big enough to protrude into the slip stream

Yes, I just discovered this today. Even with a 1" delron stop, my aileron travel is a bit over the max recommended by Vans (with the metal ctl stops installed as per plans I was at least a degree over the maximum travel published by vans). I'm going to order up some 1 3/8 delron rod to solve this. It will protrude up into the slipstream a bit, but I don't really see that as a big deal... slight cosmetic issue but I doubt the drag would be measurable.